Wednesday Hodgepodge



I thought I'd join up this week with Joyce, who blogs at From This Side of The Pond.  I've been trying to get back into blogging more, and this looked like a fun link up. Each week she'll pose some questions for us to answer. What a great way to journal life. 

1. We're approaching Memorial Day Weekend in the US of A...will you mark this in some way? If so tell us how. According to a list found here some things you might do in honor of Memorial Day would be-shop in a Veteran owned business, learn to play a patriotic song, watch the Memorial Day concert, take a virtual tour of the White House, write a letter to a soldier or a soldier's family, fly a flag, attend a Memorial Day parade, donate flowers for a soldier's grave, put together a care package for a soldier, and take a moment of silence at 3 PM (the National Moment of Remembrance)....of the ideas mentioned are there any you will try? 

This year neither my husband or I are working so I know we are going to go on a hike, although I know A LOT of other people will be outside as well because it's supposed too be in the 80's, I'm trying to find a hike that isn't as "popular", if one even exists. Maybe we'll have our kids up for dinner. My cousin is a veteran who has lost many of his fellow comrades both in the line of duty and sadly to suicide. I will honor him and their memory. I liked some ideas I found such as reading stories, or finding videos to watch and then maybe share. Our town used to do something but I don't think they do this year. 

I did put some cute Colorstreet Nails on in honor of Memorial Day.



2. What's something recently that made you 'come to attention'? 

I had a bit of a hard time with this one (maybe because I'm pretty tired this week), but what came to mind as I sat here in bed finishing this post was how I treat others who think differently than I do. On any number of topics or issues.  I've seen some "ugly" come out of people this last year that made me come to attention in regards to my own heart, intentions, words, etc. towards others. I'm paying more attention to others, I'm more aware of how others are treated, etc. 

3. In what area of your life do you need to 'soldier on'? 

Without sounding cliche, I'm going to say exercise and weight loss. It's easy for me to get lazy in this. I just need to keep being intentional and willing to make changes that might need to be changed. Also the season of Peri-menopause I'm experiencing..learning, reading, giving myself grace, just pressing through since I know it's a natural part of the journey.

4. As a long weekend approaches and summer draws near, what's a favorite food from your childhood you think about adding to the menu? 

Oh boy! I love corn on the cob so definitely that. We'll indulge in watermelon and hopefully some hot dogs over the fire pit.

5. Your favorite patriotic movie? 

I'm not a huge movie fan, that's more my hubby and girls. I did like the patriot. 

6. Insert your own random thought here: 

I think I'm too tired at the moment to have a random thought and thinking too much about my 1.5 hour long dentist appointment tomorrow (Wednesday). The birds sound nice outside my window. 


With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. I love corn on the cob too but since we're doing low carb, they're kind of off the table for now. But they do signify summer cook-outs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yah, I always forget they're a carb...lol. I'm not sure I could give them up. We don't eat it often because corn doesn't always agree with my hubby but I sure love it.

      Delete
  2. I love your nails - what fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I love the Colorstreet strips. They're so fun and can take the beating I give my nails.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you. They always have such fun colors and designs

      Delete
  4. I can't wait for corn on the cob either. I do not envy you the dental appointment, so good luck with that. It's in the 90's here so I'm thinking I will probably get in the lake for the first time this year. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I survived the appointment. Have another in 2 weeks. We are supposed to get to the mid to upper 80's this weekend so that will be nice.

      Delete
  5. Kirstin,

    First off, thanks to your uncle for his service to our country. My family has a number of veterans. They don't get near the honors they deserve from this nation and her people. Also love your very patriotic nail art. Cool! I don't think I'd enjoy a hike on a hot day even if it's in the mountains where it's generally cooler. It won't be cool enough after you get your heart rate up. I hear you on the exercise and diet score. I'm with you on that one. All you can do is keep pushing forward and try to not get too discouraged when things don't go your way. I'm actually trying to get myself back into the exercise groove. If I can stay away from a lot of unneeded calories meaning cookies, cake, ice cream, ... then I usually can loose weight fairly easily but I have a sweet tooth. I need to buckle down, though. I want to be the very best version of me despite the years that keep creeping up on me. My menopausal state was the result of a hysterectomy months before my 40th birthday in 2001. I'll let you do the math. :) Hopefully, you aren't suffering too much with your symptoms but I will tell you this that the dip in hormones can cause weight gain. It hit me in 2007 or 2008 . I managed to get the 30 pounds off but it wasn't easy. It took me many years before I realized that oral HRT wasn't working for me and needed to go with bio-identical hormone pellets which is a good fit for me. Thanks for dropping in for a visit today. Enjoy the holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your journey. Yes it's been interesting for sure this perimenopause stuff. uggh..lol. I was doing Bio identical for awhile but when I had to stop my insurance I had to go off them. Now I use supplements and they seem to help. I love the Colorstreet nail art. It's so fun. We'll see what kind of hike I find. I know wherever we go there will be a lot of people so I'm trying to find a spot that isn't as popular or well known.

      Delete
  6. Oooo corn on the cob...yesssss! Kudos for taking some time to come to attention with what's going on in your heart. I liked that answer. Happy Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank yo Bobbi and thanks for visiting. I actually looked for Corn on the cob the other day but didn't find any that looked good. It's early. I living in a small farming town and I can't wait for the local corn to be for sale. My son in laws family grows it too and they always share some.

      Delete
  7. I hope you find a great place to hike without the crowds. Getting together with your kids would be fun too! I like your nails. So true, a lot of ugly came out this year. I need to declutter but I also need to exercise and lose weight. Good luck. Hot dogs sounds good. Hope your appointment went well and continue to enjoy the birds singing outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We didn't get to hike...my back was a little tweaked and I don't think it would've been enjoyable. instead we found a yummy ice cream spot and hung out at home. Thank you for Visiting Debby. I appreciate it

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts