Weekend Coffee Share.....Let's talk about Life


I thought this week we would talk about life as it currently is. Ha! Not really a specific topic, but just what's going on in life. Yours and mine. 

Last weekend I tagged along with my daughter and her friend as she went on a hunt for some bedside tables. We went to some vintage stores, you know, the ones with many booths and vendors...I haven't gone to them in so long, but walking quickly through, because she was on a mission, it awakened in me a desire to get out there and visit them again when I can slowly stroll through and enjoy everything. We stopped and grabbed a coffee and it all almost felt normal. So if you and I were having coffee, I might ask if you wanted to hit the shops with me and just enjoy them....or at least just talk about where you love to browse and shop. Maybe you're a mall person, maybe you like thrift stores. 

This weekend, our youngest daughter turns 22. We have two girls, 25 and 22. She is going with some girlfriends to the beach (Oregon Coast) for a few nights and we are going to join them on Sunday for the day. We are blessed to live about an hour and a half from the beach. I plan to make her favorite cake, peanut butter pound cake. I need to update the photos on the blog post. Maybe I'll do that this weekend. I'll also grab ingredients to make her fettucini alfredo (4 cheese fettucini is our fave) and I'm going to make a loaf of sourdough bread but this time I'm going to put roasted garlic cloves in it. Last year I decided I was finally going to learn to make sourdough....I've always wanted to, and I'm hooked. If we were having coffee I'd ask if, in your family, do you let the birthday boy or girl choose a birthday dinner and dessert? We have always done this with our girls and I've done it with my hubby too.

I work outside the home and at home...At home I'm a virtual assistant for a few bloggers managing their social media pages. Outside of home I work for a postal annex...kind of a glorified post office where we also ship packages for people via UPS, Fed Ex, USPS, do notaries, make copies, etc....I love it. As much as I would love to  stay at home and work from home 100% I really love interacting with the people who come in the doors. We were considered essential workers so we have worked all through this craziness and business has gotten even busier. I'm reminded daily of how important kindness is, how much people appreciate understanding, a smile (with the eyes), something to lighten their day. I love it. I love hearing their stories, laughing with them, sometimes even crying with them. We live in a small town and know many people who walk through those doors personally. As much as we often joked about wishing we weren't essential workers and could stay home, I think it helped our sanity to be able to keep working. Actually everyone in my family was considered essential workers.  If we were having coffee I'd ask you what this last year has been like for you working..did you work outside the home, or from home, how did things change? What did you notice most?

WOMAN TALK ALERT: Today I went to see a naturapath. I'm thankful to be healthy enough that I rarely need to go to the doctors. It's been a few years since I've had a well woman check, and figured maybe I should go. I've also been experiencing symptoms of menopause, or what she said was probably Perimenopause. Nothing major, but just irregular cycles more recently and some blah feelings emotionally. The checkup went well, and she said everything checked out good and healthy. She was good with the supplements I'd been taking and suggested I add calcium. Sounds like I just need to ride it out. Oh joy! I know I just need to be more aware of my emotions, mental state, etc and be proactive and intentional.  Depending on your age, if we were having coffee I'd ask what your experience was and what helped. 

If we were having coffee I'd ask if you were reading any new books? I just started two new ones and am working on finishing a few others. Here's what I tend to do. I have random fiction ones on my kindle, but then I like to read actual physical books if they are non-fiction or I'm reading for a book club. The two new ones I'm reading are "Daring Greatly" by Brene Brown (it's going a long with a book club put on by Lindsey Stirling on Twitch) and the other is "The Bookish Life of Nina Hill" for another book club. The two I'm working on finishing are Greenlights by Matthew McConaughey and "Everything's Spiritual" By Rob Bell. I love to read but have really gotten out of the habit of it on a regular basis so this year I'm working on upping that a bit more. 

My new grand daughter had a lip and tongue tie when she was born and today they had that "revised" I guess is what it's called. We get to go see them in a few weeks. They live in Fort Worth. Can't wait to meet her and see our 2 1/2 year old grandson, and of course their mama and daddy. 

This weekend is full....I had in my head what I needed to do, but then realized because we are going to the beach on Sunday I need to grocery shop Saturday (which depending on when I get this post up, could be today....or tomorrow...lol) so now, I'm feeling just a bit overwhelmed, which just means I need to sit and write down what needs to be done, and when, then just go to bed and get a good nights sleep. I'm very chill and easy going so I don't often feel overwhelmed, but when I do, I really need to get things in check quick or it almost causes me to "freeze". 

A lot of contemplating life, and all that's going on and this week I feel like it would be so nice to sit and have coffee with a friend. Oh, and the coffee shop where my daughter works just opened their indoor cafe...maybe that's what got me in the mood to go and to just chat about life and what's going on in mine and your life. 

Check out all the other posts on Weekend Coffee Share, hosted by Natalie the Explorer. I'm off to go visit some now. #weekendcoffeeshare



With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. Oh how lovely that visit for coffee was with you. I loved reading the family, work and community news. I wish your daughter a very happy birthday. In our family, when I was a kid, yes you got to choose the dinner, then we did the same with our children. I guess, as they are now parents they do too. I know my son's 4 get pancakes on birthday mornings. Traditions in families are very special. I think I will be remembered as grandma who always brought her cupcakes when she visited!

    Denyse #weekendcoffeshare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome. My mother in law is known for her cookies...and everyone loves them and always asks for them.

      Delete
  2. Great read! Thank you for the positive coffee chat :) I hope you are enjoying a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria. Have a good weekend too. I'm off to read everyone's posts.

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Kirstin, for your coffee chat. Happy birthday to your daughter. In my family, the birthday person does get to choose the dinner, and cake or dessert. Have a wonderful weekend! #WeekendCoffeeShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun when they get to choose. I need to sit down tomorrow and visit some pages....crazy weekend hasn't left me much time. :/

      Delete
  4. Hi Kirstin, I don't think we've met so forgive me if I've just lost track of all the new folks joining from Natalie's hosting our weekend gig. I'm one of newer bloggers, but old timers in age and my reason for blogging is to create and share short stories, plus I love the fellowship of getting to know folks from around the globe.
    While in college where I was an average of 3 years older than all the other students, I took a job at a fast food taco joint where I was very overqualified given my work history, but I just wanted a low stress way to earn a few bucks for tuition and meet people outside of my peer students, so I had some similar experience as your shop. I think I would have liked doing your job there a lot because I do love the whole quick socializing that happens in such roles.

    I also wish I knew what you know about running a blog. I wanted a simple site that allowed me to easily create and share my short stories. I'm most satisfied with what I have, but there always nagging questions or issues (for me many are wrapped around the WordPress Blockhead Editor) but that's a rant for another day.

    I'm glad you joined us and hope you'll come back for more next weekend. Natalie has attracted a good batch of folks and our virtual meet-ups each weekend are very enjoyable.

    And if you're looking for some fun short stories, do stop by my site and give a few a test read. You'll always be welcome and all my stories are short (10 min or less) clean, free and fun.

    I try to leave a sample with each invitation, so here's one of my favorites.
    https://garyawilsonstories.wordpress.com/the-poppies-are-back/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gary. It's been fun joining in and getting to know and read others posts. I've had a whirlwind weekend so haven't had a chance to sit down and visit anyone yet, but I will be.

      Delete
  5. Hi, Kristin - At first neither Chrome nor Safari would let me comment, but I persevered and somehow got through (my computer can be tempermental this way). Thank you for the uplifting coffee chat. Happy Birthday to your daugher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is weird. I've visited a few blogs where that has happened to me too...I either couldn't find the place to comment or it wouldn't let me. Thank you for persevering and visiting.

      Delete
  6. I'd love to sit and have a cup of tea with you Kirstin, your post was lovely and I enjoyed our catch up chat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm hoping to finish up some online work this morning before leaving for work so I can get to visiting peoples posts....there just wasn't time this weekend.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts