Calendula Salve


Last year I had the opportunity to join a Facebook Group started by a local naturapath, Dr. Rebecca Zeff, whom I had started following after visiting her clinic at the beginning of the year. You can find her FB page
here

In the group, we would learn how to make a Calendula Salve from start to finish. I was so excited. I don't have a garden plot at the moment so I was going to have to grow mine in pots. It was a little hard to get seeds because many places had reduced their staff and were just experiencing a hard time adjusting because, you know, Covid. I also couldn't find any seeds in the stores I went to that were open. I purchased my seeds from Strictly Medicinal Seeds. I wanted organic and this was one of the sites she recommended. I decided to order two packets just in case I had problems and I did (have problems that is). I first attempted to start some in egg cartons and a container I already had going but those just didn't thrive. I then created a whole new pot with a lighter soil and that seemed to work really well! I was still worried that I wouldn't get enough flowers. A friend said she was growing some so if I needed more, just let her know. I ended up with just enough flowers to fill a pint size mason jar. If I do it again I would go for a bit more because I want to be able to share it with more people.



What you need: 

4 oz (1/2 c) Calendula-infused oil
1/2 oz. (2.5 Tbs) Beeswax
20 drops of essential oil (optional)
Containers of choice




Here are the steps:

1. Plant your calendula seeds. When the flowers open, harvest them soon after that. If they go too long, they will lose their potency.




2. Air dry and then place in a clean jar to store until you have enough to infuse.




3. Once you have enough flowers, pour oil over flowers so they are completely covered. Don't be afraid to cover by an inch or more. The oil acts as a barrier to keep it from molding. I used organic olive oil.



4. Place jar in a sunny windowsill and shake it when you pass by. If your windowsill is particularly warm your oil may be ready in as few as 2-3 weeks or take up to 6 weeks. 


5. Once your oil has been infused, take a cheesecloth and pour your oil and flowers into it over another bowl....squeeze until all oil has been extracted. 




6. In a double boiler, or a bowl set over a pan of water place, your oil, and beeswax. Heat and stir until wax is melted. Remove from heat and add essential oils if you want to. I used Lavender and Helichrysum because they both have healing properties.



7. Transfer oil to measuring cup with a good spout for pouring. 

8. Carefully fill your containers. I used these ones, but I also purchased these.


9. Allow to sit undisturbed until they have set. Store in a cool dry place or give as gifts.


With Joy Unquenchable,
Kirstin

Comments

  1. This looks so great. I can't wait to try growing some calendula and making it too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts