10 on the 10th December Edition



I LOVE Christmas. I also love traditions, but I've also learned how to let go of or revamp some traditions that weren't quite working for our family. Guess what? That's totally okay. A tradition that worked for you and your family when you were growing up or even a few years ago may not be serving you well or isn't a good fit this year or for your family. 

It's also fun creating new traditions. This year holidays are looking a bit different, so why not try and think of a few new things that are unique for 2020. 


Below are 10 of my favorite activities or traditions for this time of year in no particular order. I know there are more that I am forgetting. I hope you enjoy and also share yours in the comments. 

1. Clam Chowder: When I lived at home, my mom would make an oyster stew for Christmas Eve dinner. I liked it but it wasn't a favorite (I really don't like oysters). My hubby didn't like it so when we got married, we created a new tradition and I began making clam chowder. You can find the recipe here. It is a family favorite now. 

2. Baby Jesus: When I was growing up, my mom would set up the manger but leave baby Jesus out. On Christmas morning we would put him in the manger. Side story; we had a cat that liked to kick everyone out of the manger and sleep in it. 

3. Cinnamon Rolls: On Christmas morning we started a tradition of making homemade cinnamon rolls. I'm not sure how it started but we love them. And if I even mention maybe doing something else, they threaten to make me walk the plank. Find that recipe here. Oh and it has a Cinnabon like frosting. 

4. Sleeping together: Growing up my sister and I always slept in one of our bedrooms on Christmas Eve, and we weren't allowed to come out til dad had his morning coffee. We just couldn't wait for him to be done. When our girls were little, for a few years we weren't living in our home (we were building and living with an older lady), during that time our girls would go spend the night at their grandma and grandpas house (they lived across town), even after we moved to our house, our girls would still go sleep at Grandma and Grandpas and they'd stay up late and watch The Sound of Music or some other movie. 

5. Looking at Christmas lights: One of our favorite activities when our girls were younger would be to go out on Christmas Eve (or another night if that worked better) and drive around and look at Christmas lights. I still love doing this. Whether it's local or we go find a big neighborhood production, it's so fun. This year we joked that we went around "critiquing Christmas lights". 

6. Baking: I know this seems like a no brainer, but I have always enjoyed baking during the holidays and still make several of my favorites from growing up and love adding some new ones. Check out the Holiday List of recipes under the "From my Kitchen" Tab.

7. New Ornament: My mom LOVED Hallmark Ornaments and when I had my girls she started buying them new ornaments each year. I inherited many of her ornaments. Several years ago I started buying my girls a new ornament each year, and now that I have a grandson (2 years old) I've started buying him one each year. When my oldest got married and moved, she got to take all her ornaments with her. 

8. Christmas Movies and Music: I know a lot of people don't like either of these, but I LOVE them! I will listen to music as soon as I can and I really enjoy watching movies, from cheesy Hallmark to Classics, to everything in between. 

9. Christmas Cards: One of my favorite things growing up was the closet doors filled with Christmas cards. I've tried off and on to send them, and for the most part did well, but life happens and I just got out of it. I've noticed lately that I miss it, sending and receiving them so this year, I picked up some at our local Grocery Outlet. Of course they're still sitting on my desk, so let's hope I get motivated and get them out ASAP.


10. Memories: My mom LOVED Christmas and everything about it. Her house was always so festive and I think it's where I've gotten my love for this time of year. I wish she was here to enjoy it with us. We lost her 16 years ago and I cherish all the memories. We lost her mom this past March and as I decorated my tree, I came across ornaments she made. Memories are part of what keep the holidays alive and special. 


Bonus: Cutting our own tree. I LOVE a real tree and we have always gone to a local tree farm and cut our own. My hubby would love to do a fake one because the real ones are just so spendy now (about $75 here for a Noble...we live in Washington State, you know, for a real, dead tree...lol) but we (my youngest and I ) aren't quite ready to relent. 

I'd love to hear what your favorite activities and traditions are. 






You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

Comments

  1. Such fun memories! I too love baking, and Christmas movies, and music. Growing up we always used to get a live tree. When I was in college my parents made the switch to a fake one. We usually do a fake tree, but I'm hoping one day I can convince my husband to try a real tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So awesome. I'm actually close to being okay with a fake one, as long as it looks real. Haha!! My hubby doesn't like going to get them as much anymore so it's usually just my daughter and I. And I end up paying $75 which makes me cringe. Yes I'd pay more for fake but it would last for years.

      Delete
  2. Oh, my gosh!! This has to be one of my favorite posts of yours. So much sweetness tucked in every memory. And I was reminded of traditions we have done that I had forgotten about for my post. Thought about getting a real tree this year just because Lowe's had a blue million of them and I hated to ask PC (a bit of a Grinch) to get our tree down. But I did and he did without grinching a bit. I am sure you miss your mama. My mom is still living but only a shadow of herself. And with this virus we can't touch her or hug her so didn't even go up for our pre-holiday visit to Kentucky. Love the idea of clam chowder. PC has asked me to make it. Time for me to try!! Thank you for the recipe. And thank you for the smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. As I read everyones posts I remembered other traditions and memories, and my girls reminded me of a few others. The recipe for clam chowder is a winner for sure!!

      Delete
  3. P.S. so glad to see your recipe is for New England and not Manhatten chowduh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...yes. I don't like the manhatten version...lol

      Delete
  4. We used to get real trees all the time but switched to a fake tree when I was pregnant and we never looked back. I bought our first fake tree for 1/2 off after the holidays and probably spent the same on that tree as the real one we had bought that very year-- the fake one lasted us 16 years! And I just LOVED not having needles everywhere. Our house has lots and lots of windows and that real tree was so very dead by Christmas morning that there was not one single needle left on it by the time we dragged it outside the very next day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaa....and not have to water it either right!

      Delete
  5. You're right, we do have a lot of the same traditions!! Love that! I am so glad you decided to send out Christmas cards this year. I think in 2020 especially, that will mean the world to your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cinnamon roll idea. By the way, those ornaments looks almost identical to ones I put on my tree which were made by my grandma. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's so neat about the ornaments. I love them.

      Delete
  7. For several years, we went to a tree farm and cut a live tree down with our littles. It was so much fun! We also love cinnamon rolls. I printed off your recipe - which I just might need to test run before Christmas gets here:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts