Ground Cherry Blueberry Pie



Have you ever had ground cherries? Have you ever heard of them? My answer to both of those questions was a big, fat, NO! We have some friends who provide local produce delivered to your home. In their weekly email a few weeks back, they were offering "pineapple ground cherries". I thought "hmm...I want to try them". So I ordered two pints. 

They taste very good just by themselves. They have a look of a cherry tomato, in a hull like a tomatillo and can be used savory or sweet even though they do have a sweet flavor. After looking for some ways to use them, I decided on a pie. Since most recipes called for more than what I had, I added some blueberries. I was just shy of two cups and mine were a bit small so I maybe added 1/2-1 c. blueberries. 

So what do you need:

Your favorite pie crust recipe for a one crust pie. Or you can use this one

For pie filling: Combine

2 c. ground cherries, hulled and rinsed (no need to cut, just leave whole)
1/2-1c. blueberries (just eyeball how full you want your crust)
3 Tbs. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 Tbs. flour

For crumb topping: Combine till crumbly

1/2 c. flour
1/4-1/2 c. sugar
5 Tbs. cold butter grated










Roll out your pie crust. Place in pie pan. Combine filling ingredients, add to crust. Top with crumb topping. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 40 minutes.

Does anyone else love trying new recipes? 


With Joy Unquenchable,


Comments

Popular Posts