Getaway to the Desert





Friends, this post is almost a year old and I could've easily deleted it, but I wanted to share about what I loved during this trip because honestly, that's how I often find the best places to go when taking trips, by people's recommendations and who doesn't love living through someone else's trips. So here it is, just shy of a year later. It was so hard trying to choose pictures to share...aahh..I'm going to share an album on my Facebook Page just for fun with more pictures but even then I realize I didn't post them all there either. 

Last May (2018) I had the opportunity to travel to Palm Springs, California with my husband. His company's annual conference was being held at the La Quinta Inn and Spa. We took advantage of the location (not too long of a flight from our home state of Washington so we were able to find decent ticket prices) to use it as a getaway for the two of us. It's been way too long since we've been able to go away together. As in, I think it's been several years. I know...sad, but when it came to either taking a family vacation or going away just the two of us, we opted for the family vacations. Having a tight budget didn't always allow for both and we knew there'd be a day when family vacations would be harder to schedule once our girls got jobs, got married, moved out, etc. Not always the ideal choice maybe, but one we chose. I have never been to Southern California so I was looking forward to it.

 His conference was from Wednesday through Saturday so we flew down Sunday evening, giving us 3 full days just to ourselves. 

As I always do, I try to look ahead for things to do, places to eat, etc. We found a cute little VRBO to rent. It was perfect. The cutest little studio bungalow with our own private pool. Oh yes! We arrived late so it was a bit hard to see everything but when we turned on the outdoor lights it set the mood and I couldn't wait til morning. 

(This bungalow was so cute. Tucked behind a main house but super private)

You really didn't spend much time inside so the "smallness" was no big deal.

Cutest kitchen set up. 

Herbs anyone!
Plenty of seating areas outside





And a pool to die for! Oh my!!
I spent plenty of time sitting by the pool, floating in the pool. I seriously haven't floated in a pool since 2013 when I had last visited family in Florida. (At the time of this trip)


So peaceful and relaxing


I just have to say, I couldn't live in Palm Springs...it's just too dry and brown! Yes, it's pretty in it's own way, and there were bits of color here and there, but I just love all the green I'm used to and I need my seasons. When we landed I said I felt like I was landing on Mars. Palm Springs is literally this Oasis(and I'm not sure how much of an Oasis it was) in the middle of a somewhat rocky dessert. So crazy.

Thankfully the weather was on our side and wasn't too hot. Our plan was to go out late morning, spend a few hours out and about and then come back, swim or lounge around the pool and then head back out later in the day to eat dinner and walk around for awhile. The night we arrived we checked into our home, and then headed out to the store to pick up some snacks and some things to eat for breakfast in the mornings. We love eating out, but if we can save a bit by eating in, we will do that as well. When we do eat out, we try to find restaurants that offer locally sourced ingredients, organic (as much as possible), and sustainable. We found a few great juice and smoothie bars, and a few other awesome restaurants. I'll make a list at the end. 

We hit the shops on Palm Canyon Drive one day, then went back in the evening to observe the night life. Boy! What a change of scenery! But so fun. Of course I either didn't take pictures or I can't find them. 





Even though we were gone for the week I still had online work to do, but I must say, sitting out on the patio in the early morning with a cup of coffee, looking out at the pool while working sure was nice! I could get used to that. Though my desk at home is pretty too. Fir trees, rabbits hopping around, birds digging for bugs, deer passing by the window. 

We enjoyed a few hikes. Painted Ladder Canyon and Museum Trail. Painted Ladder Canyon was beautiful but oh my, if you don't have an SUV or 4wd it's a long, slow, bumpy ride to the trailhead. It was hot so we didn't finish either hike, but it was a great workout and pretty. Ladder Canyon is rightfully named, as once you get to a certain turn off you climb a series of ladders to continue further on the trail. I climbed one ladder but didn't go further because we had water bottles, my camera and I'm not a fan of heights or ladders. My hubby did go further though. I would have loved to have gone to Indian Canyon, but these were great. 

I did try to find some murals in Coachella (because we were in that area) but for the life of me I couldn't figure out where anything was...and my hubby isn't one for wandering aimlessly..lol. 










Once it was time for the conference, we moved to the La Quinta Inn and Spa. It was a beautiful piece of property. During the days, I spent time working or lounging by the pool while he was at the conference. One day I strolled along the paths taking pictures and chatted with a local artist who had a small gallery there. I hit Trader Joes for some salads to have in the room for lunch (and forgot to grab forks..lol) . In the evenings we did dinner with his co-workers and one night they had a banquet. It really was fun. My hubby says he likes having me along because I'm great at small talk and have no problem carrying on conversations with anyone...true story!


I loved all the gorgeous flowers that were in abundance. 



Here are some of the places we ate at while in Palm Desert:

Fresh Juice Bar
Fruit Wonders...couldn't find a website, but the link is their FB page
Bowl of Heaven
Rubios 
La Quinta Cliffhouse
Kaiser Grille
Great Shakes

I would certainly go back to visit again. 

With Joy Unquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts