Recipe: Lamb and Beef Gyros

Hello friends! It's been a bit since I've posted. I keep meaning to, but I just struggle to sit down and do it. As much as I'd love to post something everyday, I don't think that's realistic, so maybe once a week is more doable. 

So, I have taken on a new venture of Virtual Assisting. I've actually done it for one blogger's FB page for a few years and really enjoyed it. I've since taken on another blogger and learning even more things. I really enjoy helping these gals be even more successful and doing whatever it takes. I love researching content for their page. It's been a great deal for me. I'm working on managing my time so I can also make time for things like my own blog, reading, etc...it's easy for me to get caught up in tasks because I really enjoy what I do. 


Last week my oldest daughter asked if she and her hubby could come over for lunch so we could talk about our Florida trip later this summer. I was originally going to make these Greek Chicken Sandwiches with cucumber salad. But then my girls were like "you should make gyros". Hmmmm....never done that, but I'm always up for a challenge so off to Pinterest I went to find some ideas as to how to make them. After looking through several recipes, I decided I didn't quite feel up to making the traditional version, which would be to make a loaf, bake it, thinly slice it then broil it. I don't own sharp knives and I just envisioned a mess. I decided I was going to my version of a meatball gyro. I made them a little oblong and flattened slightly (though not enough) because I felt they would fit better in the flat bread (which wasn't as big as they type they use when you buy gyros elsewhere because we couldn't fold it over itself, ate them more like tacos). BUT the flavor of everything was so good! It was a winner for sure and I'll definitely be making them again. I may work on tweaking a few things here and there and I may attempt the version that is closer to food carts, but this was an easy winner. 

I realized my flatbread wasn't big enough to fold over itself so I thought if I elongated the meatballs they'd fit better, but when they cooked they were still a bit big, so I sliced them in half which ended up being perfect. 


I prepped everything ahead of time which made for quick work cooking and getting the counter ready. I tend to do meals this way...assembly line style. 

So good! So easy! I'll be making these again!


Yield: 6Pin it

Lamb and Beef Gyros

prep time: cook time: total time:
My take on lamb gyros! I took on the challenge from my daughters to give it a try. I'm glad I did. It's a winner.

ingredients:

Tzatziki Sauce

2 c. plain greek yogurt 
1/2 cup grated cucumber
2 tsp. minced or crushed garlic
2 tsp. olive oil
2 tsp dried dill or 2 Tbs. fresh dill
2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Gyro filling

2 lb. ground lamb
1 lb. ground beef
1/8 c. bread crumbs
1 egg
4 Tbs. freshly chopped parsley
3-4 cloves crushed garlic
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. coriander
1 1/2 tsp. salt 
3/4 tsp. pepper

Garnishes:
thinly sliced cucumbers
thinly sliced tomato
thinly sliced red onion
Flatbread
crumbled feta cheese

instructions:

For Tzatziki Sauce

After grating cucumbers, squeeze out as much liquid as possible.  Then add all ingredients in a bowl. Stir to combine and then chill til ready to serve. Adjust seasonings as needed and to your liking.

For Gyros

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. In a large bowl combine all gyro filling ingredients and mix well.

3. Using a medium size scoop, scoop out meat mixture onto foil lined baking sheet. flatten slightly with your hands and shape into an oblong shape. 

4. Bake in oven until cooked through, about 20 minutes.

5. Remove from heat. I opted to slice these in half so that the sandwich was easier to fold. You can do what works for you. 

6. Assemble your sandwiches with garnishes and Tzatziki sauce and enjoy! 


Created using The Recipes Generator

With Joy Unquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts