Zucchini Ravioli

Last week I had some ricotta cheese that needed to be used up. In the past I have made zucchini lasagna and we loved it. However, on this particular day I saw a recipe on a cooking show where they made zucchini "ravioli" and I thought, "Yes! This is what I'm making for dinner". It was a hit, well, with everyone but the youngest, who doesn't like zucchini...lol. 


While I am a pasta lover, and 1/2 Italian, it's not often we eat it at home. Instead we try to opt for lighter versions since we both have some weight that needs to be shed. So, when I happen upon a healthier version of my favorite pasta dishes, I'm all for giving them a try. This one did not disappoint. 


A recipe I made for our family, but could easily be served to company. I brought leftovers to my oldest daughter the next day (she loves my leftovers). Our schedules don't really allow for company during the week, but we try to schedule ahead some weekends with friends, whether it's dinner, or snacks and games. Gathering around a table for a meal and later for, what usually turns into a rousing game or two or three is what we enjoy. I love the conversations around a game board. If given the choice to watch movies or play games, I'll choose the latter. 

There are a few steps that need to take place to help ensure this recipe works. Both zucchini and ricotta can hold  a lot of liquid so it's important to try to draw out as much liquid as possible from both. 

Zucchini: Line a cookie sheet with a layer of paper towels. For this recipe you are going to use a mandolin or vegetable peeler (depending on how wide the zucchini is), to create thin strips of "pasta". You want it thin enough to fold. Spread slices of zucchini on the paper towel and sprinkle with salt (this helps draw out the water). Place another layer of paper towels and repeat with strips and salt. Continue until zucchini is used up. Let sit up at least 30 minutes.

Ricotta: Line a fine mesh sieve with cheese cloth. Place over a bowl. Place ricotta cheese in cheese cloth and let sit for at least 30 minutes. Gently gather the cheesecloth and squeeze out any extra liquid. Return to a separate bowl. 

Now that you've done those steps, let's get on to the recipe. Depending on how big your zucchini is will depend on how many you need. For three of us, I used 4 medium sized zucchini. They weren't overly fat so I used my vegetable peeler. This made about 13 ravioli. It would have made more but I was using what ricotta I had left.























 So good, so simple, so light, so satisfying. Add it to your menu!



Zucchini Ravioli

A lighter version of one of your favorite Italian dishes....so good you might not miss the pasta.

ingredients:

2 c. ricotta cheese
4 medium zucchini
1/3 c. parmesan cheese
1 egg
1/2 tsp. dried Italian Seasoning
1 tsp. dried parsley
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jar marinara sauce
mozzarella cheese (optional)

instructions:

Preheat oven to 375. In a baking dish, spread a layer of marinara sauce

In the bowl that you placed your ricotta in earlier (see early preparation above or below in notes), add all seasonings, egg and parmesan. 

On a work surface, place two strips of zucchini vertically, slightly overlapping. Add two more strips, again slightly overlapping, horizontally over the other two strips.

Place about a tablespoon or so of ricotta filling. I liked a nice mound. 

Begin folding strips over each other (see photos above). Until a square is formed. Place seam side down in baking dish.

Spread with more marinara. Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese if desired and bake until melted. 

notes

Remove excess moisture from zucchini by sprinkling with salt and spreading on paper towels for at least 30 minutes. Create layers of zucchini and paper towels til done. 

Remove excess moisture from ricotta by lining a mesh sieve with cheesecloth. Place ricotta in cheese cloth and let sit for at least 30 minutes. Gather up cheesecloth and squeeze out any extra liquid.
Created using The Recipes Generator
With Joy Unquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts