My version of Pine State Biscuits~Shredded BBQ Chicken

My Shredded BBQ Chicken Biscuit Sandwich

One of our favorite restaurants in Portland Oregon is called Pine State Biscuits. They are known for their Fluffy high biscuits with a variety of fillings. Check out their link for all their options. My faves are the Reggie, Chicken Club and Steak Club. Their Cornmeal Blueberry Pancakes are awesome too. It is an experience well worth the wait in line, which can often extend to 45+ minutes. Portland is filled with many small, locally owned and sourced restaurants and while seating is often limited, you will never find people unwilling to wait in line. 

We don't go there often and when we do, that is literally all I eat for the rest of the day. One thing I love is that while the portions seem large you don't feel heavy afterwards. I think it really has to do with the care they take in preparing their dishes, and the fact that one thing is more than enough. 

I'll be honest in that this last weekend was a rough one for me mentally and emotionally. I'm really not sure why, could be hormones, could be who knows what, but I just wasn't feeling quite "all there". This morning I thought "boy, I should come up with something for lunch", but nothing was coming to me. I took out two chicken breasts from the freezer to thaw in hopes it would come to me. I ran down to the store around 11:30 still with no idea of what I wanted to make. Finally as I was driving home I thought "oh, Pulled BBQ chicken sandwiches sound good. But I don't want to use all of the Sandwich Thins since we don't get paid till Friday". That's when it hit me..."why not make biscuits and serve it on those, kind of like Pine State"! I figured I'd serve that with a salad filled with yummy veggies on the side. 
Pine State Biscuits Chicken Club
Pine State Biscuits Steak Club

Honestly you can use anything you want, but try using biscuits next time. You will have to eat with a fork, but it is entirely worth it. The key to a "higher" than usual biscuit is to roll your dough to 1" thickness, this will allow a better rise that is more suitable to a "sandwich". I also used a larger cookie cutter, I think it was almost 3"+ around. You could do smaller and make them biscuit sliders but that's not what I wanted. 


Steps:

1. In a covered baker, or crockpot, place chicken breasts and season generously with pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper. Bake for about 20 minutes.

2. I used my homemade BBQ Sauce but you can use any store bought variety. Pour generously over top of chicken (I used 1-1/2 cups). Replace lid and let cook another 15+ minutes or until chicken is cooked through. 

3. Shred with forks.

4. Make biscuits (see below)

5. Slice biscuits, top with meat, some cheese, mixed greens and top with upper half of biscuit. Try not to eat too many. It's that good!

Biscuits:

2 c. Flour
1 Tbs. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/3 c. butter
1 Tbs. sugar
1 c. milk

In a mixing bowl or food processor, add flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add cold butter and process or mix until mixture resembles coarse meal. Gradually add milk. Dump out on to a lightly floured surface and knead a few times to remove some moisture. Roll dough out only to 1" thickness. Cut with biscuit cutter. Bake at 425 for 13-15 minutes or until lightly browned. 

I used a 3"+ cookie cutter and this made 4 good size biscuits and one smaller one. 

Assemble and enjoy! 



With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. I've been talkin about goin there since they were just a food cart. Still haven't been. Looks sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts