Summertime Cool Down Smoothie



In our region of the PNW we typically do not experience high summer temps..maybe a few days here and there, but usually cooler than usual with rain mixed in. This summer has started out very different. We have been experiencing a very dry season and higher than normal temps...this last week and at least the week to come will be in the 90's low hundreds. Yikes! 

Last week I was out doing some shopping by myself and had stopped at a Jamba Juice to get a smoothie, I figured that was better than going to Wendy's and it sounded better too. I love that Jamba has started incorporating more fresh juices and a combo of fresh juices to their smoothies. So, I stopped in. I ordered a smoothie that was made from fresh carrot juice, orange juice, mangoes and bananas. The result was an incredibly delicious smoothie that was both healthy and about 1/2 the calories as the one I normally get. SCORE. I knew I could recreate this at home since we have both a juicer and a high powered blender (Vitamix). With the heat recently, I gave it a try and I will say, it was pretty darn close. Juices and smoothies are a great way to get extra veggies and fruit, or if you have picky eaters. I love juicing, but it takes a lot more fruits and veggies to get a decent amount of juice so I tend to do smoothies more often. I can't buy all organic (though I'd love to), so my rule of thumb typically is to buy the things on the Dirty Dozen list organic if I can...and usually if I'm going to eat the peel I buy it organic. I do buy lemons organic as well because I usually include the peel in smoothies.  

Ingredients: (for 1 smoothie)

1/2 c. fresh carrot juice (you can purchase carrot juice at the store)
1/2 c. orange juice
1 banana
1/2 c. frozen mango 

Combine all ingredients in blender. Blend till smooth. Adjust amounts according to taste. You can use fresh mango and use ice but I like using frozen fruit. 


With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. It's way too dang hot here. I'm in Portland and my friend in Hood River just posted, "Oregon, you're drunk." Sounds like a good explanation to me.
    We're a smoothie house and this sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love smoothies too and this one was awesome and a great way to incorporate fresh juice. I agree about the heat...YUCK

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts