SRC Reveal: 2X Chocolate Banana Bread


 I know I say this all the time, but I really do enjoy being a part of The Secret Recipe Club. Sometimes it pushes me a bit outside my comfort zone to find a recipe to make. Sometimes there are too many to choose from. When I choose a recipe, I like to look for something a bit different, maybe something I've never made before but would like to try. Sometimes it's something that has a unique ingredient. Sometimes it's something that might just be a different twist on a favorite I already make. But it is so fun going through a variety of recipes and choosing.

This month I was given the blog Brooklyn Locavore. You might be thinking, "what in the world is a Locavore"? This was a word I did know since I live in the Pacific Northwest, only about 30 minutes from Portland, Or and shopping "local", "sustainable", etc..is very much a HUGE deal here. Many people, like Melissa, will often choose to buy local over organic because they feel they are able to "know" where their food came from better than just trusting a label. I'm all for that! Read more about her and her hubby and their passion for food on her about me page.

I had several recipes marked to make, all of them but the scalloped potatoes were desserts...lol. I really wanted to make her flourless chocolate cake, BUT it called for Chocolate Stout, which was fine, but the amount the recipe called for was so small I just couldn't bring myself to buy a $6.00 bottle that I would never drink or use. I know I could have substituted something else but I always try to stay true to the recipe without changing it completely and this ingredient seemed to be a key to flavor. I opted instead for her 2x chocolate Banana Bread. I was really good, rich, but not too sweet. I would say it was a great choice and my daughter gave it 2 thumbs up...she ate 2 pieces. 

2X Chocolate Banana Bread

Ingredients:


  • 3 medium to large, very ripe bananas
  • 1/4 c. butter melted
  • 1/4 c. plain applesauce
  • 1/3 c. brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 c. all purpose flour
  • 1/2 c. baking cocoa
  • 1 c. dark chocolate chips 
Instructions:

  1. Heat oven to 350. Butter a 9x5 loaf pan and sprinkle with cocoa.
  2. In a large bowl mash bananas, then add butter, applesauce, brown sugar, egg and vanilla.
  3. Sift in (I don't have a sifter, so just stirred in) all remaining ingredients EXCEPT chocolate chips. 
  4. Stir in Chocolate chips
  5. Pour in to pan and bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10-15 minutes, then invert onto a plate.
If you do not have a sifter, you can actually place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk for a minute or two. 



Blogger/SH Wordpress widget:



With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. What an awesome banana bread!! Love that you said it's not too sweet, it sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oo, that looks devilish, lots of chocolate goodness going on in there! I think this could do double duty - as a breakfast bread or a snack cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When in doubt add more chocolate! 2x sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't go wrong with a double chocolate banana bread...YUM!!! Happy SRC day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you liked the chocolate banana bread! One of my favorites, though I now need to figure out how to adapt it for gluten-free baking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There isn't much you can add to banana bread to make it better, UNLESS it's chocolate! It looks moist and delicious. Happy reveal day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That look so incredibly chocolatey and delicious. Wish I could take a bite.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts