Family Recipe: Sour Cream Coffee Cake

 Last week we were invited to brunch at a friends house that was to take place yesterday. I had no idea what to make...I had already done my grocery shopping so it would have to be with whatever I already had in the house. I had my heart set on apple zucchini muffins that I had scene posted on FB but the website would not open for me...so sad. Then the idea came to me..."make mom's sour cream coffee cake"! I hadn't made it in years and it just seemed "right"!

My mom used to make this regularly and it was always a favorite. My mom passed away almost 11 years ago and I love making recipes that remind me of her, ones that she made or ones that I know she would love. Not a day goes by that I don't think of her. She was an amazing lady. 

There is nothing like making a recipe that has been in the family, no matter how long it has been. I'm pretty sure this recipe originated from one of those paperback recipe books that you used to find at the checkout line in the grocery store. My mom used to love buying those little books and had accumulated quite a collection. So even though this recipe wasn't an original, it was filled with memories. It's best when eaten while still warm but anytime is a good time for coffee cake, don't you agree.

Sour Cream Coffee Cake

Ingredients:

3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/8tsp. salt
1 c. sour cream or plain greek yogurt
1 1/4 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1 c. chopped walnuts
2 tsp. cinnamon
3 Tbs. butter, melted

Instructions:

1. Heat oven to 350. Grease and lightly flour a 10-inch tube pan.

2. In large bow, cream sugar and butter; add vanilla and eggs. Mix well.

3. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. 

4. Add flour mixture and sour cream alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. 

5. In a small bowl combine remaining ingredients. Mix well.

6. Spread half of the batter in to prepared pan; sprinkle with half of brown sugar mixture. Repeat with remaining batter and brown sugar mixture. 

7. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. 

8. Cool upright in pan 15 minutes. Invert onto a large plate or cookie sheet; then invert again onto serving plate, streusel side up. 



With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. Ooh, I absolutely love a coffee cake like this, and how doubly special that it has such a wonderful connection/memory with your mom. Delicious AND special. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love EVERYTHING about this. The story, the recipe, and the pics. GREAT JOB. Now I just one one!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts