SRC Reveal: Grain Free Crackers
The Secret Recipe Club has been one of those things that has been so much fun to me. Once a month we are assigned a blog and on our given reveal day, we post our recipe and the blog we had. So much fun! What is even more fun is trying to figure out which recipe was mine and who had my blog.
This month was very crazy for us. My hubby started a new job after being at his previous job for 20+ years (and it was a highly flexible job), so the last three weeks have been spent learning to adjust to new schedules, figure out how to take up a lot of the things that he would take care of but can't now because of the hours he gets home, getting girls to places they need to be, etc..CRAZY. Thankfully we just got our oldest daughter a car so that is one weight off the shoulders.
Because of the craziness, I chose a very simple recipe, but one that I knew we'd like and one that I'm trying to find options for when it comes to having "snacks" around the house.
For the month of May I was assigned the blog Natural Noshings. I just loved her blog the moment I opened it and started reading her "About Me" page. When I read the words:
"with a passion for nutrition and eating natural, real food--nothing too fussy, over-processed or complicated."
I knew I was going to love her blog because that is how we try to eat too. I love how it doesn't matter if the blog is written by a 20-something like Nora, or a 40-something like myself...we all have something to teach others whether they are in our generation or not. I LOVE that.
I had pinned several recipes that I may still try, but settled on her grain-free seed crackers. These were really yummy and filling. I'm not sure if they are supposed to get "crunchy" or not. Mine weren't crunchy but they were yummy. The little boy I babysit kept asking for more. I didn't have enough flax seed so I subbed some wheat germ...at least I think that's what it was...I didn't label the container. Oops!
Grain-Free Seed Crackers
from Natural Noshings
3/4 c. blanched almond flour
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 c. ground flaxseed
1 1/2 tsp. sesame seeds
1 tsp. chia seeds (optional)
1 tsp. hemp seeds (optional...I added this because I had it)
1 tsp. coconut oil, melted (or butter, oil, ghee)
1 large egg, room temp.
1. Preheat oven to 350f. Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Mix almond flour through hemp seeds in mixing bowl.
3. Whisk egg and oil together in small bowl.
4. Combine wet and dry ingredients until fully incorporated until it forms a paste/dough. Place dough in center of the baking sheet.
5. Cut another piece os parchment paper and place over the dough on the baking sheet.
6. Roll out the dough until it covers the parchment paper, then remove top layer. Cut in to squares using a knife or pizza cutter. (or you can cut into squares after baking if preferred).
7. Bake at 350 for 11-15 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
8. Let cool on baking sheet for 30 minutes and serve.
**Note: I cut mine before baking and when they were cooled I simply had to break them apart...they were great served with hummus, or tuna salad.
With Joy UNquenchable,