I was trying to think of something different for my hubby to take to work other than salads. My youngest was babysitting last week and the kiddos mama brought them up some lunch. They are vegan so the lunch consisted of med. grain brown rice with a variety of veggies mixed in. My hubby tasted it and loved the flavor stating "I'd eat this everyday". Obviously there was something about this that would make him say he would eat rice everyday. I asked my friend what she put in it other than the obvious. I made it yesterday and I'm happy to say that I think I nailed the flavors, and I will probably eat it for lunch since it's so good.
I suggest adjusting the flavors to your personal liking and add whatever vegetables you want.
1 3/4 c. water
1 c. med. grain organic brown rice
1/2 vegetable bouillon cube
1 Tbs. coconut oil
1-2 Tbs. Braggs Liquid Aminos
1/4-1/2 c. each of carrots, cauliflower and broccoli, chopped in to small bite sized pieces
chopped onion to taste
1. In a saucepan, add water, rice, bouillon cube and coconut oil. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat simmering until liquid is about 99% absorbed. You don't want this to get too soft or too dried out. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Add Braggs Aminos and taste, adding more if needed.
3. While rice is cooking chop up your veggies. I used my Pampered Chef food chopper to get the veggie to a nice small size. I chopped the broccoli by hand.
4. In another saucepan, add water and a steamer basket. Add onion and carrot and cook till crisp tender (you don't want mush). Add cauliflower and watch carefully. Again, you don't want mush, just barely soft. I didn't steam the broccoli but put it in raw.
5. Combine rice and veggies and serve! Add seasonings to your liking.
With Joy UNquenchable,