Recipe: Fried Clams

I've really been wanting to do a Christmas Re-cap post, but just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe next week after all the celebrating is done. 


Last Thursday our youngest daughter was invited to go clamming with some friends of hers. I was excited because maybe, just maybe that meant she'd bring clams home for me to use in our clam chowder on Christmas Eve. She had a blast out there and was one of the first ones to get their limit (it was her first time clamming). When I picked her up she excitedly told me how we have got to go sometime because it's just so much fun! She also presented me with a bag of clams and explained to me what she had to do to catch them!


I put about 3/4 of them into the chowder but then really wanted to try making fried clams. I searched around a bit on the internet just to get an idea of what I needed to do.


To a plate I added about a cup or so (I used up what I had, so didn't measure) of Panko bread crumbs, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and a dash of cayenne pepper. To another pan, I added flour and seasoned it with salt and black pepper. In a bowl I lightly whisked an egg and a little bit of milk. 

Dip clams in flour mixture and be sure to coat.
Then dip into egg mixture.
Finally, dip into bread crumbs, coating well.


In a shallow pan heat about 1/2" of oil till hot. I could kind of tell by looking at the oil that it was hot enough, plus by the time I turned the heat on and finished breading the clams I knew it was hot. I actually think it was too hot for the first batch (they browned pretty quickly, but didn't burn so they were fine).
Fry on each side for up to a minute or until browned. Drain onto a plate with paper towels. Sprinkle with more salt while still hot.
I didn't have cocktail sauce or any other sauce so just ate them plain. Nan thought they were good but could have had more seasoning and less breading. 


I was also reminded why I rarely fry anything (other than the fact that it is not good for you at all), I HATE the way my house smells afterwards.


With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. Hi Kirstin! We go clamming about once a month and when I fry clams I use crushed crackers or cracker meal to fry my clams! I've never thought of using panko crumbs... I'll have to try it! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts