Recipe: Blackberry Ice Cream
I have never made blackberry ice cream and on Sunday was doing a little searching online for a recipe (actually I was scrambling because hubby was at the store and called to see what I would need...). I was very quickly looking for recipes and from browsing said "get 1/2 gallon whole milk, a pint of whipping cream, sugar....etc., etc., etc.). Well, when he got home, I realized these recipes only made a little bit of ice cream and I wanted to make 4 qts...oops! Well, back to searching I went and realized if I tweaked some things I could make this work...I am, after all a smart person!
I found several recipes, but I just wasn't in a complicated mood yesterday and several of them seemed complicated, until I found this one, at Cully's Kitchen. Go check out her blog and give her a shout out! It looked yummy, it sounded yummy and I decided to try it.
Blackberry Ice Cream (for 4 qt. maker)
8 c. fresh blackberries, rinsed
4 c. sugar, divided
4 lg. egg yolks (hubby got med. eggs, so I used 6; 1 1/2 med.=1 lg.)
4 c. half-n-half
4 c. whipping cream
1 or more tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1. In a medium saucepan, combine berries and 2 c. sugar. Bring to a low boil and simmer until sugar is dissolved.Set aside to cool slightly.
2. Puree berry mixture in your blender or processor. Strain through a mesh sieve.
3. In a large saucepan, combine egg yolks, remaining 2 c. sugar and 2 c. half-n-half. Cook over low heat until mixture comes to a slow boil and thickens. (This seemed to take FOREVER!!).
4. Whisk in remaining half-n-half, all of the cream, cinnamon and vanilla.
5. Whisk in blackberry puree.
6. Place in refrigerator 1-2 hours or overnight.
7. Place cooled mixture into your ice cream canister and follow manufacturers instructions for the rest!
It was wonderful, and got rave reviews.
I'm linking this recipe to the following blogs this week.
With Joy UNquenchable,