Monday, August 22, 2011

Recipe: Summer Bean Salad

I seem to be on a salad kick these last few weeks. But why not! Summer is winding down, gardens are producing and people are trying to figure out new ways to use it all! Well I have a quick, simple, and really yummy dish that is perfect for last minute get togethers, and it was featured in Taste of Homes Cooking for 2 Magazine (even though we have a family of 4..haha). 
When I found out my recipe was in a magazine, I was tickled pink....I was so excited. I mean how often has this happened to me? NEVER!!! I still have the magazine and this was in 2007!
As the article note said, I had received a call from a friend wanting to come over for lunch. At the time (over 15 years ago) we lived on the same property as our church (the church has since built a new building and relocated), but I had a large garden there and loved it. So knowing I only had about 45 minutes till she got there I did a quick inventory to see what I had, remembered a recipe my mom had and ran to the garden to make a quick salad.
We called it a Summer Bean Salad and what were the basic ingredients?
  • fresh green beans
  • hard-boiled eggs, (one or two), chopped, quartered or sliced
  • chopped red onion
  • Plum tomatoes, quartered
  • Italian salad dressing
 The amounts of the ingredients will vary according to how many people you are serving. You just eye ball it.

How to assemble:
  •  boil or steam your beans till crisp tender, you don't want them to turn to mush.drain and immediately place in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
  • In a serving bowl, combine the beans, tomato, egg and onion, drizzle with dressing and toss to coat! 
Wah-lah! It's done and ready to eat. It's fresh tasting, easy and your guests will love it!!! Gee, makes me wish I had a garden. You can play with the ingredients as well. Bacon would go amazing with this as would some cheese crumbles.


I'm linking this recipe to the following linky parties:



Tuesday on:

and Wednesday on:

I get so many awesome menu ideas from these blogs. Take time to check them out this week.



With Joy UNquenchable,

4 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful! I will definitely give it a try .... with red onion and Italian dressing as part of the ingredients I know it must be good! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing!

    Love,
    Traci @ Ordinary Inspirations

    http://www.ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com

    Stop by any time! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds delicious! I know what I'm making for lunch today :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your recipe sounds so fresh and delicious - no wonder Taste of Home published it! I really love the sound of it. Thank you for sharing it with the Hearth and Soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin