Recipe Idea: Zucchini Lasagna

 If you read this post, you'd know I've been experimenting with ways to use zucchini. Saturday I made Zucchini lasagna, using the zucchini in place of noodles. It turned out super tasty. I need to make a few adjustments to how I did it but otherwise there were no complaints from anyone. Even my Nan liked it and she's picky. I did make a portion of it with regular noodles because I didn't want to subject anyone to torture if they didn't LOVE it!
I used my own favorite lasagna filling and sauce. I got the idea for how to do the noodles from this great blog. The beauty of it is that you make it like you would your regular lasagna, you're just using something different for the noodles.


I had went grocery shopping earlier that day, came home, unloaded groceries most of the way, left to pick up Kat and her friend at Walmart (they were selling tickets for our towns local celebration and her friend is one of the princesses), back home to finish putting groceries away and then started dinner. I felt a bit rushed because I've never made this before and wanted it done by 6:30.
I had a few issues.....but didn't panic...here's what they were:
1. I forgot to salt the zucchini like suggested, but I did broil it for a bit like she said (1-2 minutes per side), though I now think I didn't broil it long enough.  The goal is to draw out as much water as possible.

2. She suggested using a mandolin to slice zucchini, I have one but it is a Pampered Chef one and I couldn't seem to use it without the attachment thingie (and that wouldn't let me make long slices) so I had to slice them by hand...needless to say they didn't come out even. The goal would be to get them 1/8" thick. Mine were quite a bit thicker than 1/8".

3. I baked it for 45 minutes covered and then another 15 uncovered, but it didn't seem to set up well (probably because we ate it right away and didn't let it set) and wasn't hot in the  middle and zucchini was still pretty crunchy (probably because they were too thick). 
It was just the four of us for dinner, but I got to thinking about how I would have handled it if we had company and things didn't quite go as planned. I mean, come on, runny lasagna, not steaming hot, slightly crunchy zucchini...would I panic? NO WAY!! I simply would have said, "there's the microwave, let's nuke it a bit more"..Or..I might have put it back in the oven for awhile longer, started us off with salad or just spent more time visiting. I served this with salad and some 4 cheese sourdough bread that was on sale at Walmart. It was a small round loaf (perfect for 4 of us).
Sometimes it can be a little scary to try a new recipe and I probably would not have served it for the first time to company. I reserve company dishes to meals I've made before. Though there are certain friends that I don't mind using as guinea pigs. However, I'm not at all afraid to try something new. I love it!!


I'm linking this recipe to the following linky parties:


Tuesday on:

and Wednesday on:



I get so many awesome menu ideas from these blogs. Take time to check them out this week.


With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. I love this idea and will be giving it a try as soon as I harvest my zukes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so going to make this. I eat low carb to keep my blood sugar down and since I do most of the cooking that means the rest of the family does too. One of things I miss is lasagna - but not anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Using the zucchini in place of the noodles sounds so yummy. I also saw someone use zucchini in place of spaghetti noodles and serve it with meat sauce. I want to try your lasagna. Thanks for coming by to share! Have a great weekend.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds delicious! I use zucchini in my lasagne, but not in place of the noodles - this is the first time I have heard of that . . .

    If you're looking for zucchini recipes, try cutting up zucchini with yellow crookneck squash, mushrooms, a bit of onion and ham or sausage links and fry it up until it's pretty soft. With the sausage, serve with Monty Jack cheese on top. You can serve either over a bed rice. Spanish rice works best with the sausage, especially if it's spicy sausage. Yummy! :) And pretty quick. You can also throw some freshly chopped tomatoes on top.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts