Tasty Tuesday: Two Casseroles

Sometimes there is just nothing like a good ole casserole. I haven't made a casserole in awhile, because they tend to be loaded with things like canned cream of mushroom soup, etc...which really isn't the best for us, but ya know, sometimes, it just sounds good. So I make one! I have a few faves that I make, but I still always love a good Tuna Casserole. Last night we were invited to a friends house for dinner and to watch the final College Basketball game. Not that I cared about the game, I was going for the chance to visit with my friend. She made a yummy chicken casserole from our church cookbook (I'll include the recipe as well), salad and cut up strawberries. It was simple it was what they and their residents (they run an adult care home) were already going to eat. I'm sure she just stretched it a bit more to include us!


A few weeks back I was in a bit of a hurry and had the makings for a tuna casserole. Instead of making it in one of my usual glass baking dishes, you know the ones....9 x 13, basic ugly glass dish...I opted for a pretty, white casserole dish. Amazing how a pretty white dish can make something as simple as a tuna casserole look beautiful!
Here's how I do my Tuna Casserole


1. Start with any pasta you want...this last time I used penne pasta, but have also used egg noodles and even spaghetti. Cook according to package directions. I tend to like mine a little al dente.


2. In a large bowl combine a can of cream soup (any kind'll do..I used cream of chicken because my girls don't like mushrooms), a couple good spoonfuls of sour cream or plain greek yogurt..I'm guessing it comes out to about 1/2 a cup, some garlic powder, pepper, and a squirt of deli mustard. Don't forget a good amount of shredded cheese.


3. When pasta is done, drain and add to large bowl, stirring well to combine. Add tuna (make sure you drain it) and lightly stir to mix in. Pour into greased casserole pan.


4. In a bowl or pan, melt about 2-3 tbs. butter and add about 1/2 c. bread crumbs. Stir to combine, adding more crumbs if you need to. spread on top of casserole. Bake at 350 till heated through and breading is lightly browned, 20-30 minutes. 
This recipe is great for learning to "wing it". It's easy to adjust the wet ingredients if necessary....if for example after stirring in the pasta it seems like it might be too dry, add some more soup, sour cream, or even a little milk. I like a really moist casserole.

Now for the Chicken Almond Casserole recipe:

5 c. diced cooked chicken breast
2 c. diced or sliced celery
3 c. cooked rice
1 (8-oz) can sliced water chestnuts
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. mayonnaise
2 T. chopped onion
2 T. lemon juice
3/4 tsp. pepper
1 c. sliced or slivered almonds
1 can water
1/2 c. sliced or slivered almonds
3 c. crumbled cornflakes
2/3 c. butter, melted


Combine all ingredients, except 1/2 c. almonds, cornflakes and butter. Put in buttered 9 x 13 pan. Combine almonds, cornflakes and butter. Sprinkle on top of casserole. Bake at 350 till heated through.


On another note, I got my signed copy of The Reluctant Entertainer by Sandy from Reluctant Entertainer. I just {Heart} Sandy's blog, and Sandy herself!
I'm linking these recipes to Tasty Tuesday




With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. I just love that you have recipe that you just throw things in. I am the same way. When someone asks what is in it, I am usually like, um, I don't remember!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chicken casserole sound delicious. I'm always looking for things to do with chicken. I'll be trying this next week.

    For some reason I just can't get used to tuna in a caserole. I've tried many different recipes, but I just can't get over the feeling that tuna needs to be cold and in a sandwich!

    P.S. Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts