Tasty Tuesday: Chicken and Rice One-Pot Meal

 I could've sworn I posted this recipe somewhere on my blog because I found a picture of it in my iPhoto as I was deleting pictures last night, but I cannot find it so I'm posting it again!

This is one of those meals that makes kitchen clean up easy. I found it in my Everyday Food magazine from Martha Stewart. It's easy, full of flavor and adaptable to your personal preferences.

It makes kitchen cleanup a cinch because you only need one pot! It does take about an hour total so it's not a throw it all in and forget about it, but I'm sure you could do that too. 

One-Pot Chicken and Brown Rice
Martha Stewart 


Ingredients:
1 tbs. olive oil
4 bone in, skin on, chicken thighs (I used boneless, skinless thighs)
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 large onion cut into 8 wedges (I used much less)
2 celery stalks cut into 1 1/2" pieces
2 medium carrots cut into 1 1/2" pieces (I used baby carrots and just threw a bunch in)
1 bay leaf
1 c. brown rice
1 3/4 c. water

In a dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. 

Season chicken with salt and pepper, then place in pot. Cook until golden brown (lightly browned for me) on both sides. Pour off all but 1 tbs of fat (my chicken was skinless so their wasn't much fat.

At this point I didn't read the recipe right and removed the chicken, so you can either remove it, or leave it in the pan; Add onion and celery. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 20 minutes.

Add carrots, bay leaf and 1 3/4 c. water (I also added mushrooms). Stir in rice and season with more salt and pepper if needed. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for approx. 45 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is cooked. Let stand, covered for 10 minutes.

Just about when the rice was all absorbed, I tossed some chopped up asparagus on it, closed the lid and let it steam. It was yummy for our tummy's.




 I'm linking this up to Tasty Tuesday!

 
With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts