Recipe: Spinach-Pesto Lasagna with Roasted Red Peppers

 Last Friday I tried a new recipe that I had found in my Health magazine. I think with a bit of tweaking, it'll be a winner. 

The recipe calls for wonton wrappers, but I kept forgetting to buy them when I went to the store, so I just used lasagna noodles. I really want to try the wonton wrappers. I felt the lasagna was a bit dry and that could be from the fact that the lasagna noodles are so much thicker..maybe I needed more filling. 

Hubby liked it, but he is not a fan of ricotta cheese (the texture)..I love the stuff and can just eat it out of the container, so I may add something else to it to make it a bit creamier.


So here it goes. It is a fairly quick recipe and would be great for last minute company if you keep the ingredients on hand.


Spinach-Pesto Lasagna with Roasted Red Peppers

1 c. part-skim ricotta cheese (I used a bit more)
4 Tbs. Pesto, divided
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1 (5-oz) box baby spinach (I DO NOT like boxed spinach, so I just slightly wilted some fresh spinach and used that)
18 wonton wrappers (1 pkg)
1 (8-oz) jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and drained
1/4 c. shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
2 Tbs. Finely shredded Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350. 
 In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, 2 Tbs. pesto, and egg whites; Stir well.

Heat 1 Tbs. water in a medium skillet over medium heat; cook spinach until wilted, stirring well (hmmm..maybe there is boxed spinach that isn't frozen...well, either way I used fresh)
Spread remaining 2 Tbs. pesto in an 8-inch square baking dish; top with 6 wontons, overlapping slightly. Layer half of ricotta mixture evenly over top of wontons; add half of peppers over ricotta mixture.
               (note my last row of noodles...I ran out of whole ones so I just used broken pieces. My pan was slightly larger than 8-in)
Top peppers with another 6 wontons, remaining ricotta mixture, half of spinach and remaining peppers. Top peppers with remaining 6 wonton wrappers and spinach. Sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan; cover tightly with foil.


Bake lasagna, in middle of oven until cheese is melted and bubbly (about 20 minutes). Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into 6 equal size pieces.
**Note: I kinda forgot about putting half the spinach on top, so it all went in the middle layers. I also put mozzarella cheese in the middle layers as well. I LOVE CHEESE!!

Try it out and let me know what you think, and maybe what you did differently

I'm linking this up with Tasty Tuesday.

With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. ooh yum! This has all my favorite ingredients! Definitely need to try!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts