Recipe: Semi-quick Chicken and Quinoa

 Hubby bought me this beautiful green pot for my birthday. I love it!!
I typically make chicken soup with using this recipe. I love this recipe. It's amazing, but it does take awhile. Last week I was in a bit of a hurry and I didn't have a whole chicken so I improvised. It was yummy, and great go-to quick meal. 
What you need: boneless, skinless chicken tenders, carrots, celery, onion, chicken broth, chicken bouillon, 1 can great northern beans, quinoa, basil, oregano, garlic, thyme.
Cube the chicken tenders and cook in olive oil till done. Just before the chicken is done, add some sliced garlic (I love using my garlic slicer from pampered chef). Add one 32oz container (I use Pacific Organic Free Range broth), one chicken bouillon and about 2-3 more cups of water....really, you could add as much water as you'd like. Add carrots, celery and onion as well as  seasonings (this is a season to taste recipe)...Cook until carrots are almost done..not soggy, but crisp tender. Add 1/2 c. quinoa. Cook for about 15 minutes and add beans. Heat through and serve.
 I always love mine with some parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. I was going to add some spinach, but I forgot. Of course, no soup is the same without some crusty bread.

I still love my traditional way of making chicken soup, but this way is fast and easy and really, really good. 
 We've been trying to eat more soups and I love coming up with new recipes, or finding new ways to make an old favorite. This week I've made a yummy multi-bean soup, chili and this chicken soup. I'll share those recipes later.

With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. Kirstin, I always love the pics of your food!!! Thanks so much for sharing! I eat pretty healthy but I just need to get my fam on board :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only is this recipe somewhat quick and easy, it's also made with ingredients I am likely to have on hand at all times. Thanks for the inspiration, I will making this chicken soup soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelby...big key is small changes. ones that everyone can get used to. Some things I've decided just aren't worth the fight. The funny thing is, my hubby would be the one to go totally vegetarian or vegan....NOT ME!!! I like my meat (C: I really feel small changes make lasting changes and moderation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That soup looks delicious. I haven't ever cooked with quinoa. Whatdoes it taste like?

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, quinoa is yummy. It's small and has a slight crunch with a bit of a nutty flavor is all I can think to describe it. It takes a little getting used to but it really is good. It's a great source of protein and lysine.

    It's lighter tasting than rice or potatoes so it's a good substitution. It can also be used in baking...I made some cookies with it...I think I did a post on it. It can be ground and used as flour too.

    I've had it for breakfast with a bit of brown sugar on it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quinoa is my favorite and I'm glad that you were very creative in using it in your recipe. I'm pretty sure that chicken and quinoa would definitely taste super yummy. Thank you very much for sharing this easy-to-follow recipe. I look forward to trying it very soon. By the way, you take great photos of your home-cooked meals! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts