Tasty Tuesday: Tuscan Soup and Fluffy Biscuits

 The Northwest has definitely been displaying wintery cold weather. No snow where I'm at, but certainly soup weather. 

I found these two recipes in my new Taste of Home cookbook and wanted to share them. So easy and so yummy.

Tuscan Soup


1 small onion, chopped (I never use a whole onion)
1 carrot, sliced (I used a  bunch of baby carrots that I sliced)
1 tbs. olive oil
2 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) Progresso chicken broth (I used one big box of Pacific Free Range Broth)
1 c. water
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 can white kidney or cannelini beans (I used two), drained and rinsed
2/3 c. small spiral pasta
3 c. thinly sliced escarole or spinach




Saute onion and carrot in olive oil until onion is transparent. Add broth, water and seasonings (I also used a chicken bouillon). Bring to a boil. Stir in pasta and beans. Return to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes. Add spinach or escarole. Serve! I love topping mine with parmesan cheese. Oh, I also added some sliced garlic. The nice thing about this soup is that you can really play around with it.


Fluffy Biscuits


2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
2/3 cup 2% milk

Directions

In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Whisk egg and milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.


Turn onto a well-floured surface; knead 20 times.
 Roll to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
Bake at 450° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.

I don't typically use shortening, but these are so good, I may cave in every now and then.

I am hoping we have internet back at our house next week. The roofers are there today and I'm hoping in the next day or so they'll be done! Yippee!! 

With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. Looks so good! We love soup around here :) looks like your new addition is coming along nicely. When do you think it will be complete?

    Remember that adoption book you posted about months ago? I tried finding it at our library and they don't have it. Can I borrow it from you? It's still on my mind and sounds like such a good book. Let me know. If not, no worries, i'll put it on my wish list for my birthday next month :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts