Tasty Tuesday: Yummy, Crunchy Chicken Tenders

 Saturday night turned out to be just hubby and I at home. It had been a long day with a soccer game that was an hour away, running errands with the girls and their friends and then home before taking Kat to a birthday party and Nan left to go to Portland with friends. I wasn't in the mood for a heavy dinner so I decided on breaded chicken tenders on top of salad and home made oven fries. 
I don't really care for store bought breaded anything, because it just doesn't taste the same. At least not the ones I've tried. I pulled out my chicken tenders to thaw, grabbed the bread crumbs and realized I didn't have enough. I was online and did a Google search for crunchy oven baked chicken tenders. It came up with a Rachel Ray recipe. I really like Rachel Ray so thought I'd give it a try.  I did veer from the original recipe a bit.

Here's what I did. In one container I placed a well beaten egg, in another some flour, and in a third container I mixed what bread crumbs I had with some crushed up cornflakes. I added pepper, garlic powder, allspice. Sometimes I add Italian seasoning and paprika. Now, Rachel said to stir some oil into the bread crumbs before coating, but I skipped that step because I didn't want it to be loaded with more calories (though this could very well have been the key to the crunch)than it already had. Dip the chicken tenders in the flour, then the egg, then the bread crumbs coating thoroughly. Often when I bread chicken tenders I leave the egg and flour part out and just get the tenders wet and bread them. My mom used to mix egg and sour cream and then dip. WOW, yummy, but I'm sure there were a lot of calories in there. 



I placed them on a sprayed cookie sheet (you could even spray the tops of the tenders but I forgot) and bake at 400 till done. They were so yummy. We put them on top of our salad and enjoyed a simple meal. 

This is a great meal when you don't have much in the house. If you have salad and a few tenders, it'll go a long way. I hard boiled a few eggs, grated some cheese, pulled out some sunflower seeds and it was a loaded salad. The oven fries topped it off. Actually what topped it off was the Tillamook Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream we had later that evening.



I'm linking this to Tasty Tuesday. Can't wait to see what other recipes are out there. Oh, and if anyone remembers a link on Tasty Tuesday for Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls, please pass it on to me. I can't remember what week I saw it.

With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. These will be a big hit at my house...thanks so much for sharing!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. We eat lots of chicken at our house, and I'm always looking for new chicken recipes. This looks delicious, and it sounds like it would be pretty easy to convert to gluten free. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heavenly! Thanks so much for sharing this delicious looking recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy and easy. I will have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea to add allspice!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts