More Camera Fun.....White Balance

 Well, I have really been having fun learning all the fun things you can do with the "M" setting on my camera. You might be tired of my experiments, but it really is a lot of fun.


The last two days, Darcy has been talking about White Balance. I'll be honest when I say that I was a little confused as to what White Balance was and why it was important. I still don't know if I totally understand it, but I do know I'm learning!

Here's what I did today. I wanted to play with something indoors because to me that just seems the hardest to do, other than taking pictures at soccer games at dusk!


I chose this bowl of fall leaves that sits on my piano. I had a lamp on which stands on one side of the piano. I totally needed the tri-pod. Good thing I have one. I'd like to try it using my girls as guinea pigs models next time


Camera Settings:
Lens: Nikkor 18-70mm
ISO: 200
Shutter Speed 1.6
Aperture: F8







I put the Auto one beneath the pre-set because I wanted to see how they compared. The colors are definitely brighter on the Pre-set, but the Auto isn't too far off.

NOW! I didn't have one of the fancy schmancy contraptions to help with the white balance, but Darcy said to use a piece of gray paper or even a rock. I didn't have gray paper so I thought I'd try white (I think my manual suggested that). I had to refer to my manual because I was still confused after watching the video tutorial on You Tube. I was so excited when I got a "good" reading. The first time I got a "no good".




With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts