Chicken Cordon Bleu



Re-post! One of our favorite meals quite a few years ago was Chicken Cordon Bleu. It's been awhile since I've made it, but a few weeks ago it popped into my mind and I figured I'd throw it on the menu one of these nights. Tonight was the night. It's actually an easy meal to put together. I had dinner all done and then realized I completely forgot to steam some broccoli...uh...alrighty then! I was so proud of how well everything was going...lol!

I posted the original recipe on Tasty Tuesday, so scroll down for it. One thing I did differently to slightly is instead of using a whole chicken breast, I cut it lengthwise, making it thinner. Then pounded it out to make just a little bit thinner (enough to layer and roll). 

 My family loves Chicken Cordon Bleu, though I don't make it often. It tends to be one of those "special request" meals. I found this recipe years ago in a Taste of Home Magazine, and while the original recipe calls for cooking it in the microwave, I just haven't done it that way. Call me weird, but I just have a thing about not cooking certain things in the microwave. Either way, it's a winner.


I made it recently for my hubby's birthday dinner and as always it was a hit. Here's what you need:
Ingredients:
4 Boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (pounded thin to about 1/2")
2 tsp. (or more) dijon mustard (approx.)
1/2 tsp paprika (approx.)
4 thin slices, fully cooked ham
4 thin slices swiss cheese (or shredded)
1 c. bread crumbs
1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp. italian seasoning
3 to 4 tbs. mayonnaise


Sauce:

1 Tbs. butter

1 Tbs. all purpose flour
1 c. milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. shredded Swiss Cheese
2 Tbs. white wine

Spread mustard on one side of chicken, sprinkle with paprika (however much of  each your little heart desires). Lay one slice of ham and one slice of cheese onto chicken. Roll up tightly and secure with a toothpick. Combine bread crumbs, pepper, parmesan cheese and italian seasoning. Spread mayonnaise on the outside of chicken roll and then roll in bread crumbs. Place on baking sheet and bake at 350 till chicken is cooked through and outside is lightly browned. towards the end I turn the heat up just a bit to get a nicely browned exterior. 
 Ready to pop in the oven.
In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Add milk and remaining ingredients. Use over chicken and mashed potatoes.



I'm linking this to Tasty Tuesday! Go on over and check out all the great recipes. And I just realized it's Wednesday, not Tuesday. Oh, Lord help me!!




With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. I'm with ya - I don't like actually cooking in the microwave either ... unless it's parts for my coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I ate my first cordon bleu when I first moved to Germany and haven't since I moved back to the US. I am going to have to cook this for old time sakes. Angie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts