Recipe: Yummy Rich Chocolate Brownies

I found an amazing brownie recipe that cuts several calories, fat grams and ups the fiber. It is truly a keeper recipe. I'm always looking for better ways to make our favorite foods, especially desserts. This recipe contains no oil, uses whole wheat flour and includes sweet potatoes. They are so rich that I could only eat a small piece. They would be amazing with some vanilla bean ice cream. I didn't have an 8" pan so mine ended up being a bit thinner since I used a 9" round pan.
Yummy Rich Brownies
( Printable Recipe)
4 tbs. unsalted butter
2/3 c. natural unsweetened cocoa powder 
1/2 c. whole-wheat pastry flour
                                                                             1/4 tsp. baking powder
                                                                     1/4 tsp. salt
                                                                 1 c. sugar
                                                                              2/3 c. sweet-potato puree
                                                             1 lg. egg
                                                                                     1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract 
                                                                                1/4 tsp. instant coffee powder
**NOTE** I couldn't find sweet potato puree and didn't want to use the canned, sweetened stuff so I bought two small sweet potatoes, peeled, cooked and pureed in my blender. I also didn't have coffee powder, so I used 1/4 tsp. of coffee from my pot.
Heat oven to 350. Spray an 8-inch square pan; set aside. In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Remove pan from heat, and stir in cocoa. Let cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in sugar and sweet potato puree, then egg. Add vanilla and coffee to cocoa mixture. Add flour mixture to cocoa mixture, mixing well. Spoon into prepared pan. Bake about 20 minutes. **Another note** I mixed the cocoa with the butter, vanilla and coffee, but then just dumped it all in my mixing bowl and used my mixer...worked just fine.
With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts