Garage Sales

This post was originally written in 2009 when I took part in a group called Works for me Wednesday, but I just had a garage sale last weekend and thought I'd update this post. Even though my girls are now adults, I left the tips as is because they are helpful. 
It's coming up on garage sale season and I think there some real keys to having a successful sale. It seemed that when we had ours it got the ball rolling. We started Thursday afternoon and by Friday afternoon there were several others going on. The weekend was perfect for it. I wasn't as organized as I usually am. I was just trying to get it done. But looking back at my tips, I will be more organized next time.
I have a garage sale every year. The money I make used to pay for my daughters homeschool materials when they were younger, or other items we need or want. Last year, our sale went towards spending money for our trip to NYC (you can read all about that trip by searching NYC on the blog. I did a series). 

I have been to many garage sales that are unorganized and chaotic. Needless to say, I do not stay at those very long (though I'm sure I could find some great treasures).  Here is what I do to make mine successful and receive many compliments on how organized, clean and well priced they are.

1. Price reasonably. People are at sales looking for bargains. I'd rather price lower and sell everything, then price high and make only a few dollars. If there are items I want to ask more for I may put them out at the sale, but remain firm. If they don't sell then I post those on Craigslist or one of our FB groups.
Instead of pricing each item individually I price in groupings and put "unless otherwise marked" so if there are items I want to ask more or less for, those are the ones I price separately...I just don't have time to price every book or piece of clothing. So for example: all kids clothes .75 unless otherwise marked, etc..

2. I make cute signs on my computer: Using a large font and even adding a picture. Signs for books, clothes, CD's, etc.

3. Categorize your tables: All clothing is organized as such: Children's clothes (separate by sizes), Women's clothes, men's clothes. I always include the sizes on the signs. 

4. I find a book shelf to show off my books, and baskets for stuffed animals, CD's, and other small items. I put all my housewares on one table, and all toys and kids items on their own table. I might even set up a carpet with a few things so that kids can "test" them out. 

5. If I have several items that would go together or are within the same theme (apples, or Christmas) I group them together.

6. I take time to make sure everything is clean. Dusted, washed, etc..

7. I always play music, and the girls usually set up a nice table to sell cookies and juice (note: even if I go to a garage sale and really do not want cookies or juice but some cute little girl or boy are trying to make some money...I buy it anyways!)

8. If selling electronics, have a cord ready so that customers can try it out. Make sure everything works ahead of time and you have pertinent information. Also make sure movies/games/CD's are actually in their cases.

9. On the last day I mark everything down half price. I'd rather make something than nothing.

10. I typically do my sales on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, though the last several years when I've had to work I switched to just Friday and Saturday. Starting at 8:00 or 9:00 and going till 5:00 or 6:00. Long days, but I only do it once a year. And at the end of your sale, remember to go take down all your signs and donate whatever is left, unless you store it for a future sale.

I have had great success each year of my sales. People enjoy stopping at places that are set up nice and are clean. The above pictures aren't near as organized as I used to do and this was also before I put up any signs, etc...


With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts