Random Babbling

It's the first day of spring, but it seems anything like spring. There's a misty rain, gray skies and an occasional bluster of wind. Sigh....I'm coveting blue skies and sunshine.
 I'm getting ready to put together a slide show of our building process. This journey has taken us 2 1/2 years and deserves to be journaled! Hopefully in the next week, I'll have it up here in a post. 
The real reason I was going to post was to share about what I made for dinner last night. Kat was hungry for turkey burgers and I just happened to have some extra turkey in the freezer. I didn't have buns though, so decided to make some homemade oatmeal rolls and use those. OH MY WORD!! They were so good. A little heavy, but definitely yummy and filling. I also made some homemade oven fries to top it off. The funny thing is that when I said what I was making on my Facebook, it ended up with 12 comments back and forth between people. I never thought buns would be such a hot topic. Mainly it revolved around the fact that I was making buns instead of simply buying them. I truly love cooking and baking and derive great pleasure from making and eating things from scratch. Plus it's just so much better for you!
Next time I make homemade buns (I won't post it on facebook...JK), I'll find a recipe that makes a lighter roll. I loved the ones I used, but they were heavy. I let them rise for quite awhile and then after the final rising, I flattened them just a bit so they would be more of a "bun" shape. To my turkey I only added a few seasonings (onion and garlic powder, pepper, season salt and some Parmesan cheese). I sauteed some onion and mushrooms to go on top. There is nothing like onion and mushroom on a burger...Oh, yum!! And you can't forget all the melted cheese.
With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. Those burgers sounds fabulous. They look great too.

    Tell Nan that I was often stung by blue bottle jelly fish (Portuguese Man O' War) as a kid and they *really* hurt. They'd come floating in with the surf and sting everyone in the water, and then we'd all line up at the Surf Lifesaving Club for treatment.

    We also have to look out for Funnel Web and Redback spiders, and snakes when we're out in the bush. We do have some nice animals, though:-).

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kirsten - I found the link I mentioned on FB for the buns I am planning to try. It is: http://www.momadvice.com/blog/2008/02/homemade-hamburger-buns.htm
    If you give them a try before I get a chance to, you'll have to let me know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts