A Beautiful Day

Spring

Robert McCracken

Today is the day when bold kites fly,
When cumulus clouds roar across the sky.


When robins return, when children cheer,
When light rain beckons spring to appear.



Today is the day when daffodils bloom,
Which children pick to fill the room,


Today is the day when grasses green,
When leaves burst forth for spring to be seen.

(the neighbors adjoining property)
I know it's not spring, but the above poem was so fun to read, and I am ready for spring to be here.
What a beautiful day it was today. It's been beautiful the last few days, but I've been unable to get out in it due to busyness inside the house. Of course the forecast is rain after today for the next week straight. Sigh...I love the Northwest but all this rain gets really old after awhile. 
(The tire swing awaiting riders on the lower part of our property. This will all get overgrown and so we'll need to keep it cut down and sprayed because of all the nettles.)
Last night Nan and I walked to get the mail and then I decided to go up the road a bit and talk to a man about having him come and till up my garden area. It's much to tough to work it with a hand tiller the first time. He said he would (at $50/hour), but I figured I'd spend more than that renting something and he'd probably do it twice as fast. That motivated me a little bit to get moving.
Today I went out and sprayed the area where the garden will be, to kill the grass (I made sure it wouldn't stay in the soil). Then I added some hay to my compost pile, picked up some stray stuff around the yard and took a few pictures. 
(My compost bin...I wasn't sure why hubby made it so long, but I actually like it now. It gives us room to put a few hay bales.)
I'm excited to really see our property go through the seasons. Yes, we've been up here off and on during the seasons while building, but I haven't always paid attention. I want to scope out some areas for some fruit trees and berry bushes.I'm also including a picture of a sad tree. Everytime I see it I just shake my head in disbelief...why you ask? Well take a look.
Someone during Christmas came onto our property and cut it. When I first saw it, I just couldn't believe it. I asked hubby if he told anyone they could cut a tree..no, he said, "why?". Well....someone did!!!! I mean good grief, they could have at least asked...we have several and it wasn't even a really nice one. Granted most of our trees are huge and someone couldn't just walk away with one, but this one wasn't that big. I may never know what happened. I think I'll leave it as a reminder!!! Of what I don't know....but it may just stay there!
(The woods at the lower part of our property)
A friend called me at 12:00 and asked me to go for a walk along the river in the neighboring town. Oh, it was so beautiful. Next time I'm bringing my camera and my girls.
I've been saving up for my seeds, though now some will go to having my spot tilled.I've been loving looking through all the catalogs. It amazes me what is out there. I love dahlias and in the Burpee catalog there is a beautiful one. It's an orange-red with yellow in the center. I drooled. I will have a good size garden and I believe I will do square, raised beds. I've done these in the past and love them. They're alot of work, but worth it. I want to plant enough to can, to give away and to eat fresh of course. Plus since we have no landscaping at this time, I'll plant some flowers in there as well.
The girls have both gone with their dad to soccer and I have about 45 minutes before my niece gets here for me to watch her. Oh, the joy of quiet! I'm hoping after this post to sit and read my Bible for a bit. It has been a little neglected. 
I'm anxiously awaiting spring and all it has to offer. 
With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts