Recipe: Chicken Paprikash

One of my favorite simple soups is Chicken Paprikash. My mom used to make this often when we were growing up. It's a Hungarian soup, and while I'm not Hungarian, this was just one recipe that was made often in my family. I had lost the recipe but a few years ago my aunt, who is also not Hungarian, gave me her recipe...she is Polish, my dad is Slovakian and my mom is/was Italian. It must be the European heritage that made this such a popular dish. I'll have to find out.

This soup is a very simple but hearty soup with very few ingredients. There seem to be many various versions of this recipe online.
Chicken Paprikash
1 onion chopped
1 clove garlic
2 1/2 lb. cut up chicken ( I use boneless, skinless thighs)
2 Tbs. Sweet Hungarian paprika
2 c. water
1/8tsp. red pepper (optional)
 I love this gadget. It is from pampered chef and it makes slicing garlic a breeze. I first put the entire clove (unpeeled) in the rubber tube and roll as I apply pressure. This quickly breaks up the peel.
 I then place the cloves on either side of the inside of the other item (I have no idea what it's called....a slicer), Pop the top on and apply pressure as you twist. The result....the beautifully sliced garlic you see below! I used to HATE slicing garlic.
 Fry (saute) onions and garlic (confession time...I took my eyes off the onion and garlic too long and my garlic burned. I had to pick it out). Add cut up chicken and brown. Add paprika, salt, pepper and then water. Simmer 1- 1 1/2 hours. If chicken has bones, remove and bone. Return to water.
For Dumplings combine: 
3 c. flour
3 eggs
1 c. milk
Drop by tablespoonfuls in either boiling water or in broth. Cook till dumplings float. I actually feel like this made way too many dumplings so I would half the recipe next time and make them smaller.

To thicken broth combine:
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 pint of sour cream
1 Tbs. flour

Add some hot broth to this mixture than add back to soup. Add dumplings if not already in.

Tonight, hubby went to a Portland Trailblazer game so it was just the girls and I. Actually it was just Nan and I. Kat spent the afternoon and evening hanging out with friends since school was canceled today. Sometimes it's hard letting your kiddos grow up. Nan had a sweet tooth so she and I stopped by the store and bought a box of brownie mix. She made it up when we got home, 1/ 2 with added chocolate chips, 1/2 with chopped walnuts. YUMMY!! These were amazing. Store bought brownies never tasted so good. The girls and I spent the evening watching NCIS and eating popcorn! It was a good night!
I'm also linking this to Tasty Tuesday..
With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. This looks so delicious - especially for cold weather! Can you do this in the crockpot too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this recipe. Also love that I see so many pampered chef items. I pretty much consumed with pampered chef products in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kirsten I made your Chicken Paprikash for SRC this month and we loved it! It wasn't quite as pretty as yours but it was absolutely delicious. Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts