Tweaking the Homeschool Schedule

As a youth pastor I talk to many young ladies and I am dumbfounded by the lack of knowledge or desire they have for anything domestic. Okay, not all of them, but more than I'd care for. They can't cook and prefer to live on cereal or top ramen. They don't know how to do laundry and aren't partial to cleanliness. My daughters possibly have more knowledge then some of these young ladies who are in their 20's.....SCARY! I've decided that Mondays are going to be our "Home Ec" days here at our home. We'll do things such as cook meals, bake, learn to read or convert recipes, learn how to make recipes healthier. I'll continue to teach them cleaning skills. We'll do crafts on this day, and they can also work on reports, read or do other catch up work. We'll learn how to find good deals, read labels, figure percentages. They can learn a skill that they haven't learned yet. Sewing maybe???? We'll learn how to manage money, make wise choices. The rest of the week will be school as usual. One day my AD1 was studying something and said "mom, when will I ever use this?". I silently said to myself "I have no idea, you probably won't". Yet I find myself paranoid that they won't learn what they need to know (who says what they need to know anyways). In my opinion spelling, math, and English are the main subjects they'll use in life, but I'll teach the others as well. They seem excited to do this so today will be our first day...though a bit unplanned since I just thought of this on Saturday. Today we'll run errands to pick up some items for a craft, and a few other things. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comments

  1. What a great idea! I agree - too many young girls today just don't have a clue. I want my daughter to start out her adult life a little better with those things than I did. I love your idea and think that I will implement it with my daughter when she's a bit older. (She's not quite 3 yet!) Our son is 13, and I'm thinking it couldn't hurt him to learn some of these things too. Friday's are light days for him, as he has a co-op class then, so I'm thinking Friday's would be a good day for him to learn some new skills! Thanks for sharing your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, it definately couldn't hurt for your son to learn things too. I appreciate the help my hubby gives, and there's no reason young men can't learn to cook and clean, or young ladies learn to change the oil and mow the lawn. He may even find he likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kirsten...am I correct in understanding you are here in WA? Thanks for visiting me recently...I am just now catching up on my visiting...I was honored to see that you have me on your blogroll! You are sweet!...

    We had a Home Ec day last week because I had a lot to do and couldn't figure out how to do it otherwise!My DD is 14 and is learning her way around the kitchen/laundry room...as a SAHM I had to learn to not do everything for everybody all the time!

    I am going to add you to mu blogroll and would love to pop back in to visit ....pop in to see me again as well!
    Blessings,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I am in SW Washington, Woodland to be exact, which is about 30 miles North of Portland.

    I enjoy decorating, finding bargains, garage sales and antiques so your site was up my alley. We are currently building a house (there's a pic on an older post) and I cannot wait till it's done and I can add my personal touches.

    Blessings,
    kirstin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts