Recipe: Homemade Crackers

 Last week we were heading up to watch Kat play soccer in Seaside and I wanted crackers to go with some leftover hummus I had that I had planned to take with us. I was out of grocery money so I did the next best thing. I found a recipe and made them myself.

I found this site called Food in Jars and they had a recipe that sounded pretty darn good. I actually found several recipes on a variety of sites that I'd like to try at some point. This one seemed quick and easy and that's what I needed.


They turned out really tasty. A few things I might change: add just a bit more salt or else more garlic or another herb and try to roll the dough a bit thinner. 
Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp. sea salt (add more if you want it saltier)
3 tbs. olive oil
3/4 c. water


Seasoning mix:
2 Tbs. sesame seeds
2 Tbs. poppy seeds
1 Tbs. garlic powder
1 Tbs. fennel seed (I didn't have and don't like it so I used flax)

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 450.
2. Combine flours and salt in a bowl. Add oil and water and stir until you have a cohesive ball of dough. Use your hands if needed. Set aside for 15-20 minutes.
3. While dough is resting mix your seasonings together and set aside.
4. After the dough has rested, divide into two pieces. Cover one piece so it doesn't dry out. 
5. Flour a board (I love my Pampered Chef pastry mat) and roll out dough VERY thin. 
6. Put on a parchment covered baking sheet, brush with water and sprinkle with seeds. Using a pizza cutter, cut into squares or diamonds and bake for 10-12 minutes. (I didn't do this...my baking sheets have lips so the pizza cutter won't cut to the ends, so i used my pastry wheel (for the first time), and cut the dough into squares on my pastry mat and then carefully lifted them onto the cookie sheet (which I had sprayed because I didn't have parchment paper). This worked great. It might be tougher if they were super thin.)
7. Let them cool completely before storing in an airtight container. They'll keep for a week. Mine didn't last a day...of course I forgot a batch and burned it in the oven.

Everyone loved them and they were gone in no time. They were awesome with the hummus, and come on, pretty healthy with only a few ingredients.

I'm linking this recipe to the following linky parties:


Tuesday on:

and Wednesday on:

I get so many awesome menu ideas from these blogs. Take time to check them out this week.



With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. What a resourceful idea! I love that you used what you had on hand to make these beautiful crackers. Thanks for sharing your recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time visiting your blog, I'm stopping by from Savory Sundays. I love these crackers and can't wait to try them out myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those crackers sound so good. I love the yummy topping of the flax and seeds. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe. I look forward to trying them! Have a great day,

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awesome! You are so creative to think of making your own crackers. I am so dense, I would have never considered it! Your recipe sounds great. I may give this a try while my kids are away at camp next week! =)

    Have a very Happy Fourth!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Kristin! don't you just love it when you can MAKE something and feel all self sufficient and it is even better than the ones you could BUY? I do love that! I also love your frilly pastry cutter and I need to get me one of them! Thanks so much for sharing this great recipe with us on the hearth and soul hop! All the best, Alex @amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts