Simmering Soup Week: Day 3 Ham and Bean Soup

It's Simmering Soup week at Stop and Smell the Chocolates so head on over there and see what's being cooked up. 
I love soups and always look forward to weather that makes them even more appealing. I have several more recipes I'll share as the week goes by. 
The other day I put together a yummy ham and bean soup. For once I didn't follow a recipe but instead put in things that I thought would be good with beans.
I bought a 16oz. bag of dried beans. They contained such a variety of beans that I just couldn't pass it up. I also bought a package of already cooked and cubed ham. 
In a large soup pan place bag of beans (I used half a bag). cover with 4-6 cups of water and add 1-2 chicken bouillon cubes. Cook about 1 hour or until beans are beginning to become tender. Add chopped onion, chopped carrot, cubed potatoes at this point and cook until tender. At the end had a few handfuls of chopped spinach and ham cubes (if using pre-cooked ham), otherwise add ham at the beginning. The only other seasonings I added were some pepper and I topped it with parmesan cheese once it was in the bowl and ready to serve. 
Serve with crusty buttered bread. I served it with flat bread that I warmed up. 
With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. Yum! Thanks for linking it up! You can just keep linking recipes to Wednesday's post and I'll keep linking back to it through the week and even during next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Nothing is more comforting in the cold, winter months than a steamy mug of soup. Oh I could eat it everyday! Your Ham and bean soup sounds just delicious.

    I hope that you guys are having a good week!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts