SRC Reveal Day: Chicken and Gnocchi Soup (better than Olive Garden)

I used to LOVE the Olive Garden Restaurant. Now, I like it okay, but really probably won't go unless someone else suggests it, there aren't many other options, or my daughter has soccer games and needs carbs. I remember one time I was so excited to order their Chicken and Gnocchi soup because I absolutely LOVE gnocchi. I was so, so disappointed when I received my bowl and tried my first bite. It is advertised at Creamy soup with roasted chicken, gnocchi and spinach. My creamy soup tasted like they opened a can of cream of chicken soup and dumped it in the pan...roasted chicken? I couldn't find any (It looked kind of like the chicken from the can). I might have had a few gnocchi, but nothing to get excited about. In a nutshell it was a big letdown. I remember thinking to myself, "I could totally make this at home". 

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I received my Secret Recipe Club assignment, and I was assigned It's Yummy to My Tummy, I knew exactly what I was going to make the minute I saw her recipe for Chicken and Gnocchi Soup...it was hands down a given. I did peruse more of her recipes, but just knew that was the one. 

The author of this blog, Heather, loves to bake and cook, for her family and for others. Her blog is her way of organizing her thoughts and experiments, de-stressing and sharing her many recipes with the many people who love them and always ask her for her recipes. You need to head over and check out her recipe index. I'm pretty sure there's something for everyone. 

You can totally buy store bought gnocchi, but I have always wanted to try making my own, so I did. I will post that recipe soon, but it was worth it and not that hard. I think I could have made them smaller, but they were the perfect texture and flavor. I was quite pleased. Heather gives instructions for using homemade gnocchi. I placed my gnocchi dough in boiling water first. As soon as they rose to the top I scooped them out and added them to the soup, this way they could finish off cooking but not get overdone (I wasn't sure if that was possible so I didn't want to take any chances). If you choose to use store bought gnocchi, this soup is a really quick meal to throw together. 

*Be sure to go to her recipe as well because she gives some great time saving tips.

Let's get on to the recipe.

Ingredients:

1 c. cooked chicken, diced
4 Tbs. butter
4 Tbs. flour
1 Qt. half and half
14 oz. chicken broth
1/2 c. celery, finely diced
1 c. carrots, shredded
 2 garlic cloves, minced
1 c. onion, finely diced (I used less just because we don't like a lot)
1 c. spinach, chopped
1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. parsley
1 lb. gnocchi
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

1. Saute onion, celery and garlic in butter and olive oil until onion becomes translucent. 

2. Add in flour and stir (this will be like a roux). Cook and stir constantly for about a minute.

3. Add your half and half, seasonings, carrots and chicken. Let mixture begin to simmer and thicken up.

4. In another pot, cook your gnocchi according to package directions.

5. Once your soup is thickened, add your chicken broth. When gnocchi are done cooking, add them to your soup, along with the spinach. Cook a few minutes until spinach is wilted.

Such a simple and satisfying soup. I love the flavor of the thyme in this and I love the vegetables. It's just a great fall soup.




With Joy UNquenchable,


Comments

  1. Thanks for the review! This soup used to be a staple in my house, but since my youngest guy is dairy-free now I haven't made it in a while :-( .. Perhaps I need to revisit it and see if I can transform it to our families needs more, as it is such a fantastic heartier soup that IS perfect for fall like you said :-) glad you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if there's a non-dairy alternative that would work just as well.

      Delete
  2. I have to admit it, I never cared for Olive Garden. Ever. I guess it's because my mom cooks good old classic style Italian, so I'm spoiled and know what good Italian food tastes like (sorry to anyone reading this who really, really loves Olive Garden lol!) Anyway, this soup sounds so good and hey, homemade it always the best ;)

    Toodles,
    Tammy<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good. Perfect for the cooler Fall weather that is upon us these days. Visiting from SRC C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to try to do a non dairy version of this!! This looks incredible and I'm glad it's finally soup season!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness this looks good! A trick I use to make my soup creamy, without adding milk, is to cook a large potato until it's really soft, mash it up, and stir it into the soup, along with the water I cooked the potato in. It thickens up the soup slightly, and gives it that creamy texture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No Olive Garden withing two hours drive so always a treat. Sorry to hear the soup was substandard.
    Love gnocchi and it is so fun to make. Definitely trying this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a lovely soup! looks so comforting for fall. great src pick!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts