Recipe: Biscuit Topped Pot Pie


 One of our favorite meals is homemade chicken pot pie. It's creamy, delicious and fairly easy to make. I love when an already simple meal can be made even easier. 

Here is the recipe for my Chicken Potpie. A few days ago I made a whole chicken in the crockpot. We ate some of it and I saved the leftovers for another meal. Personal chicken pot pies were what I had in mind, AND instead of making a pie crust, I decided to top it with a biscuit. The result was a success and I will definitely make this version again. The nice thing about this is you can make the filling ahead of time and when you get home all you need to do is make your biscuits, top and put in the oven. This can be ready to eat in about 30 minutes start to finish. Using leftover chicken, or whatever meat you have helps to make it a quick meal. 
One thing I would do differently is to double the filling recipe depending on how many you make, or at least the liquid part of it (butter, flour, broth, whipping cream) because it does absorb. One recipe made three large mugs, but both hubby and my youngest said it needed more filling, I thought it was fine. 
Biscuit Topped Pot Pie

Ingredients

Pot pie Filling

For Biscuits:
     2 c. flour
     4 tsp. Baking powder
     1/2 tsp. salt
     1 egg
     1/2 c. butter
     2/3 c. milk
     shredded parmesan cheese
Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add butter and combine till it resembles fine crumbs. Combine milk and egg and add to mixture, stirring just until combined. On a floured surface, knead dough about 20 times. Roll out to 3/4" thick and cut to fit your mugs, ramekin or whatever you choose to use. Sprinkle with cheese. Place on a large baking sheet.
Bake at 425 till biscuits are slightly browned and cooked through. Mine took about 15-20 minutes. They were larger and I think being in the mugs caused them to take a bit longer than if they were just on the pan. 
Allow to cool and make sure no one grabs the mug handle...wink, wink.

You could make the biscuits separate and just top the mugs, ramekins at the end but I like baking the biscuit in with it. 


With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts