Recipe: Nut and Seed Granola

Granola was one of those things that I just never bothered to make..it was just as easy to buy in bulk at my local grocery store than attempt to make it myself and potentially burn it or something. Well, a few weeks ago I decided to give it a try. I'm not sure what circumstance brought me to that point, maybe I had run out, maybe I saw it somewhere, but I decided I was going to make it. I browsed the internet for recipes. So many options. Many recipes are very similar and can be easily tweaked to suit your tastes. This site had some great pointers that will make creating your own recipe a piece of cake. I looked at a few recipes and then did what I wanted. It turned out so good, I'm not sure I'll ever go back to store bought.


We like our granola on Honey Greek Yogurt the best. Add some fruit and it's a real winner.


Nut and Seed Granola

3 c. rolled oats
1/4 c. chopped almonds
1/4 c. pumpkin seeds
1/4 c. sesame seeds
1/4 c. flaxseed
6 Tbs. honey
2 Tbs. oil
2 Tbs. maple syrup
(optional: cinnamon or other flavoring)

1. In a small saucepan combine honey, oil and syrup. Heat just until honey is on the "runny" side.

2. In a large bowl combine all other ingredients. Pour honey mixture over the top and stir well and quickly.

3. Spread out on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake in a 300 degree oven for 15 minutes. Stir and cook for another 15 minutes. Possibly less depending on your oven, but for mine 15 minute increments is perfect.

4. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container. I stir it every once in a while to keep it loose and not clumped together.

You can add whatever you want, coconut, dried fruit, chocolate, the skies the limit!



With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts