Easy Sandwich Rolls, recipe link

You are going to have to read a story before the recipe, or you can just scroll down. It's up to you.

For the month of March our family is going gluten free....Say WHAT!!! I LOVE bread....really love bread, though I've gotten a pretty good handle on not over indulging in it..unless I'm at a restaurant. BUT, my hubby and I are hitting walls when it comes to losing weight. We are in our 40's and we eat healthy, but we are stuck. So we are going to try going with no gluten for a month and see if that does anything. 

I need to go grocery shopping tomorrow and I wanted something to have for lunch today. I decided to do a quick google search for "easy sandwich rolls". That search brought up this site: Wives with Knives. How's that for a blog title. It was the first link so I clicked on it. The title of the post was "Homemade Sandwich Buns in 60 minutes". I was sold at 60 minutes! I didn't want to make the full batch because I didn't want that many rolls, so I halved the recipe. I'm always nervous when I cut a bread recipe in half. But this worked great. 

The author, Cathy, actually lives in my neck of the woods. I can't wait to read more of her blog. Her pics of her rolls are much better than mine, but they probably taste the same. 

Please head over to her blog for the complete recipe. I didn't take the time to e-mail and ask if it was okay for me to post it here. These were definitely a winner and I will be making them again. Below are some of my notes on the recipe.


* I halved the recipe and it made 6 nice sandwich rolls. If you want something more burger size, maybe only make 4 or make the full recipe.

* It calls for 1 egg. When I halve a recipe with only 1 egg, I crack the egg in a bowl, whisk it, and then divide it in half. Always seems to work fine. 

* I didn't have a silpat so I used parchment paper.

* I completely used my stand mixer and it worked great!

* My house is never warm enough for bread to rise so I heat my oven to 200, turn it off and then place the dough inside to rise. Takes 1/2 the time and seems to do the job. 

* These were so yummy! In fact I'm considering going and eating one right now. 

* you could probably add some shredded cheese to these or dried onion or roasted garlic. Next time I'm going to try using some white whole wheat along with the unbleached flour.
With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. Hi Kirstin - Your sandwich buns turned out perfectly! I'm so happy you liked the recipe. It's one of my favorites. I'm just like you - I love to make a tuna sandwich out of them and I always add a slice of cheese. I have never cut the recipe in half and am glad to know it works. Many thanks for the link. It's so nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Cathy. My youngest daughter and I ate them while they were still warm with our sandwiches. My oldest daughter came home and put hers in the oven under the broiler and then topped with tuna. YUMMY!!!! I can't wait to try them with burgers!!! YUM!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. These sound absolutely delicious! I miss bread, but occasionally have to indulge and make a loaf in the bread machine (at least I know what is going into my food). I may have to try these and soon! Thanks for sharing! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, Exactly. I don't think I could ever totally give up bread...but when I make it I feel good knowing exactly what's in it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts