Recipe: Oven Baked Sea Bass and Homemade Tartar Sauce

 Several months back my dad gave me a few packages of Sea Bass and some Steelhead. I am a lover of all things "fish" but my family, not quite as much. My hubby loves salmon but other fish he's not so fond of. My girls do like it though.

I finally got around to making the Sea Bass the other day. I wasn't quite sure what to do with it and decided to bread it and bake it in the oven. Served with oven fries and homemade tartar sauce, carrot sticks and sliced apples and pears, I think it turned out perfect. I didn't take time to take pictures, so think of this as a recipe book without pictures (ahem..I never buy those cookbooks..I like pictures, but keep reading, this turned out yummy).

As I was getting everything ready, I realized that I didn't have tartar sauce, and you can't have breaded fish without it. I did a quick google search for homemade tartar sauce and browsed a few recipes. I didn't have some of the ingredients but decided to just wing it with a general idea of what was needed.

This entire recipe from start to finish is pretty much one that you just add as you go and to your liking. I have not always been good at doing this, but I find I'm getting better at it. So don't let the lack of amounts scare you away. 

Oven Baked Sea Bass

4 Sea Bass Fillets
2 eggs
Splash of milk
flour
2-3 c. Panko bread crumbs
cayenne Pepper
Paprika
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Pepper
Salt

Tartar Sauce

About 1/4-1/2 c. mayonnaise
Good amount chopped dill pickles
About 1 tsp. lemon juice
About 1 Tbs. dijon mustard
About 1/2-1 tsp. Pickle juice
finely minced onion

I checked my fish to make sure there were no bones left in them before breading them.

1. In 3 separate containers place egg & milk, flour and Panko bread crumbs. You can add salt and pepper to the flour if you'd like. Place all other seasonings in with the Panko bread crumbs. I really just eyeballed this, once I could really "smell" the seasonings coming through the bread crumbs I figured I had enough.
2. Dredge each fillet first in flour, then egg/milk mixture, then bread crumbs. Make sure they are fully covered.
3. Place on sprayed baking sheet and bake at 375 for 15-25 minutes depending on the thickness of your fish. Mine were fairly thick. So I did about 25 minutes. If you'd like the tops to be a bit more brown, just place on broil for a few minutes. 

4. While fish is baking, assemble the tartar sauce or do this several hours or days in advance. Obviously the more time it chills, the more the flavors meld together. I tasted as I went till I was satisfied with the flavor. This was so good. 

Yummy yummy dinner. I'm thinking next time I'll cut the fish in to "sticks". 


With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts