Recipe: Lentil Sloppy Joes

I love trying new recipes, especially if they are "healthy". Our family is on a continued journey of healthier eating. It's fun, but it can also cause us to butt heads. Funny thing is, it's my hubby who pushes the most for certain healthy eating trends. Don't get me wrong, I like eating healthy, but I'm kind of a moderation kind of girl, and he's the type that would go all or nothing. Sigh.....

But anyways, a friend of mine posted this recipe on Facebook and I thought..."okay, I've got to try that". The result was pleasing. You can't go into this thinking about what regular sloppy Joes taste like. Next time I'll tweak the sauce a bit to make it a bit tangier and more BBQ tasting (which is what my family likes). They were hearty and satisfying. I served ours on sandwich thins with salad and oven fries. Sorry I didn't take pictures.
Lentil Sloppy Joes
(Printable Recipe)


Ingredients:
1 c. chopped carrot
1 c. chopped celery
2/3c. brown lentils, rinsed/drained ( I couldn't find "brown" lentils so just used the regular light green looking ones and they worked fine)
2/3c. uncooked regular brown rice
1/2c. chopped onion
2 TBS brown sugar
2 TBS yellow mustard
1/2 ts. salt
1 clove of garlic
1/8 - 1/4 ts. cayenne pepper
2 14 oz cans of vegetable broth
1 15 oz. can of tomato sauce
2 TBS apple cider vinegar

Instructions: 
In a crock pot, add all ingredients except the tomato sauce/vinegar. Stir and cook on high for 3 - 3-1/2 hours. Add the sauce/vinegar and cook for an additional 30 mins. Adjust seasonings as you want. I also added some balsamic vinegar, molasses and a bit more brown sugar and mustard.

Enjoy! I'm linking this to:






 

With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. This is a great idea! I'm always looking for ways to implement more beans/peas. This is perfect.

    One cup of Lentils give the whole day's worth of Folic Acid which makes them incredibly healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just browsing through the thumbnails on my Hearth and soul Hop post and your picture called to me. I just discovered, and fell in love with, lentils last year. I have been looking for more ways to prepare lentils and I can't wait to try your lentil sloppy joes. Thanks for sharing recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't do this, it looks like a lot of work. :-) But all the dishes I like has a lot of chopping involved.

    Come & Play: Thursday Two Questions

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just wondering tonight if I could stretch my regular sloppy joes by adding some lentils. Think I might try it now! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I featured your recipe on my post today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great dish .. i eat lentils almost every day :) Thanks for sharing it with Hearth and Soul Hop

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good grief! How easy it this? I think we don't eat the healthier foods because of the prep time, you have solved that one, thanks so much for linking to the hearth n soul hop.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts