Making Adjustments

If you've read my blog for any amount of time you might know that I don't often stray from an actual "recipe" but I'm not totally opposed to making adjustments. Having to make adjustments isn't a bad thing. It can definitely push us past our comfort zones.


We are on vacation (and yes I'm blogging...we have some down times where we are just sitting and well, doing nothing, so I'm taking advantage of it), staying in a rental home. Last night my plan was to make a chicken pot pie. I had it all started and realized that there was not a single pie pan in the house. Hmmmm....the aluminum pie plates at the store in the village were $6.00. I'm sorry, but I was NOT going to spend $6.00 on a pie plate I would throw away.

I dug around and found a square cake pan. It seemed to be about the right size. I had purchased the Pillsbury Pie Crusts that you simply unroll and plop in the pan. So, square pan, round crust...hmmm...Nan helped me out with this. We unrolled the crust and just slightly rolled it a bit thinner. I placed it in the pan and it seemed to fit well except for the corners. I unrolled the top crust and cut about an 1/8-1/4" around the crust. I then split that up into four pieces, balled them up, rolled them out a bit and placed them onto the corners of the pan. Perfect!!! We filled the crust and placed the top on. It was a success. When it comes to any type of pie, it really doesn't have to be pretty, just call it "rustic".

The second adjustment I had to make was when I prepared to make some yummy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip muffins this morning. The recipe makes a large quantity of muffins, which is what I wanted since we are expecting company here on our vacation. 

I realized I didn't have enough sugar, but I did have some agave nectar and some brown sugar. My first thought was to substitute all the sugar with  agave nectar so I did my research and discovered that for every cup of sugar, use 2/3 c. of agave and reduce any liquid by 2Tbs. Well, after the first 2/3 c. of agave, I realized I wasn't going to have enough of that. So I had to add a bit of liquid back in, used 2/3 c. agave, 2 c. brown sugar and 1 c. organic cane sugar (yes, that would be 4 c. of sugar). The end result worked! I was nervous because I really wasn't sure how things would turn out. I now have a couple dozen yummy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip muffins. Here's the recipe.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
4 eggs
2 c. pumpkin puree
1 c. vegetable oil
4 c. sugar
4- 1/2 c. flour
2 TBS. pumpkin pie spice
2 ts. baking soda
1 ts. salt
1 bag of chocolate chips

Blend all the ingredients together, except for chocolate chips.  After well blended, stir in chocolate chips.  Divide into muffin tins.

Bake at 350 degrees at 18 -22 minutes.  Makes 2+ dozen.  You can use this same recipe for Pumpkin bread.
They turned out awesome. You could add some nuts or cranberries or anything else that sounded good to you. 

Sometimes adjustments have to made at the last minute without much planning.  Make it an adventure. Well, I'm off to prepare some chicken enchiladas for dinner tonight. Our guests should be arriving at 1:00 and I'd like to have the enchiladas ready to pop in the oven so we can just enjoy the rest of the day together.


With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. You are so resourceful! The pumpkin muffins look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts