Recipe: Churros

 When I was in high school I took Spanish for two years (do I remember any of it? Not really). I do remember that when we made Churros y Chocolate I didn't like them at all. I don't know why, there was just something about them that I didn't like.

Nan has a computer game that has something to do with cooking and she came to me the other day and said "Mom, I want to make Churros!" I'm sure I rolled my eyes and secretly went "eeww gross". But I told her to find some recipes online, show me and we'd decide which ones to make. Well, time got away from us and we got busy and haven't had time to make them, until today. I will eat humble pie and say "THEY WERE AMAZING"! They came out perfect, crisp outside, just right inside, lots of cinnamon sugar!!! Perfection.

The recipe we chose came from Purple Foodie (don't ya just love that name). 

(Printable Recipe)



Ingredients:
1 c. water
1/4 c. olive or canola oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. flour
2 eggs
1 tbs. butter
Peanut or Canola oil for frying
1 c. sugar
2 Tbs. cinnamon

Directions:

1) In a heavy saucepan bring water, oil and salt to a rolling boil. 
 2) Remove from heat and add flour, stirring till combined. The dough will cling to the spoon.

 3) Return to the heat for 30 to 60 seconds stirring briskly to dry out excess moisture. Remove from heat. I actually had turned my burner off and it was still warm enough to do this.


4) In another bowl, beat eggs and mix in with the flour dough slowly until the eggs are completely incorporated. You will notice the dough looks sticky.

 5) Stir in butter (don't melt, just throw the cube in and it will melt as you stir). Keep stirring to combine thoroughly. You will notice the stickiness goes away.

6) Place your dough to a piping bag (or in my case my pampered chef tool) fitted with a large star shaped tip.

7) Heat oil in a pan (test with bits of dough)
 8) Pipe dough into hot oil and cook until golden brown.

 9) Remove from oil, drain on a paper towel, and then roll in cinnamon sugar mixture (oh, forgot that...mix sugar and cinnamon on a plate).

 10) Eat immediately!!

With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. Oh my gosh!!!! Just made these. They are fantastic. I grew up in California and these were "fair food" staples. Now that we live in New Hampshire we can only get "fried dough". So nice to share a yummy piece of my childhood with my children. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts