Conference Time & Hostessing

 This week, beginning Thursday morning our church will be hosting a youth conference called World Changers. This is our second year and it takes place of our youth camp that we did for a gazillion years...really, I think it's been that long. We've been doing them since we were married (and I know they did them before that), our girls have been raised at them (literally) and now are "of age" to attend them. Two years ago we decided to do something different and try a conference at our own location. It was a HUGE adjustment, but it's been worth it.

One of the things we've incorporated were "host homes" for our own kids. This allows them to still have that "camp" feel but they just stay in homes with their small group leaders and small groups (by age: Jr. high girls, jr. high boys, etc.). We divide them between various home and those homes provide sleeping arrangements and meals for 2 1/2 days and 2 nights. The kids love this.

This year we are hosting the Jr. High girls and I'm looking forward to it. I can't wait to have them here with us and I can't wait to cook for them. It'll be a bit tricky because I'm doing a few other things throughout the week during the conference but I planned meals that will be easy to either make ahead of time, or put together rather quickly.

What do I plan to serve? Here's my menu

Thursday
  • Dinner: Enchiladas, rice & beans

Friday
  • Breakfast: Bagels/cream cheese, muffins, fruit
  • Dinner: Burgers, Tater tots, fruit salad
Saturday
  • Breakfast: Orange Breakfast drink, waffles, fruit
  • Dinner: spaghetti, salad, garlic bread
I'll also pack them lunches for the afternoons which will include sandwiches, fruit, juice, crackers/chips, and a cookie or pudding. 

The other thing I do is prepare a gift basket for our guest speakers. I have done this on several occasions over the years and really, really love it. One thing that I've found that speaks volumes to those receiving them is that I take time to find out what they like. I e-mail their secretaries, spouses, or if I have to, the speaker themselves to find out their likes and preferences; favorite candle fragrance, snacks, books, magazines, music, decorating styles, hobbies, etc...then I plan a basket around what they would enjoy.



I thought I had a few picture to share of some baskets I've done in the past, but I couldn't find them.


Which would enjoy receiving more?

A typical basket of fruit or something that was personalized just for you? 

I know what my answer would be.



It's going to be a great week. I don't think I'll be in bloggyland much, but I'm sure I'll take time to pop in here and there.


We also just returned from another out of town soccer tournament. Nan's team took first place and did great. Kat is also back playing and even scored a goal at her last tournament (which I wasn't there to see because we didn't think she was going to play so hadn't planned on going but sent her with friends). We have a few local tournaments and then we're done for the summer. I must say, I'm glad. Kat will have high school tryouts in a few weeks and Nan will begin her fall season of soccer..it doesn't end, but at least it'll all be local.


I plan to post  sometime on how my garden is and isn't doing. But not now. Enjoy a few picture of the girls from recent tournaments.

With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. It sounds like you have a fun event coming up. We always enjoy hosting youth in our home for various events. I love your menu (they ought to be very satisfied) and your gift basket ideas are great! Every young girl would love her own personal basket.

    Have good time,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts