Organization: Try a Home Box

When my daughters were little I was a part of MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) at our church. I love that ministry and enjoyed being a part of it for many years. I was the Creative Activities leader and wrote our newsletter. I have great memories. One year we had a speaker ( a fellow college friend) who came and spoke to our group on Organization. She had many wonderful tips (several of which I've adapted over the years). One of my favorite tips was her idea for a "Home box". This simple organization tool helped me quite a bit especially during the time when my girls were young and I was trying to stay on top of things. Here is what you need to get started:
  • A file box
  • Dividers
  • Several colors of index cards
#1 Take each divider and create labels: One for each day of the week (for daily tasks), weekly, monthly, yearly, bi-annually, etc.. Also labels for Projects, parties, Birthdays, Anniversaries, each month of the year etc. Whatever labels you feel you need to use. #2 Now take your index cards. On white ones I listed all tasks I would do on a weekly/daily basis:
  • laundry
  • clean bathrooms
  • clean closets
  • Dust
  • Wash outside cupboards/appliances
  • Vacuum
  • Sweep/mop floors
On purple ones I listed things I needed to do on a monthly basis:
  • Clean oven
  • Clean windowsills
  • Wash outside windows
  • Inside windows
  • Clean light fixtures
  • Thorough cleaning of girls' room (going through toys, clothes)
  • Wash walls (kids can get them dirty)
  • Clean blinds
On Yellow I listed Yearly items:
  • Camcorder serviced
  • Carpets cleaned
  • Appliances serviced
  • Whatever else was a yearly item
On Blue I listed projects I wanted to do throughout the year. Pink was reserved for Parties and Events I would host and Green was for Birthdays/Anniversaries I needed to remember. #3 Now....once you have everything written on your card, place those cards in the appropriate category. Each week I would go through the "weekly" cards and place cards under the day I planned to do that task. If for some reason I didn't get to it, I'd place it under another day. Let's say on Monday I had laundry, vacuum and sweep and mop floors. On Monday I would take those cards out from the "Monday" divider and lay them on my counter so they were easily seen. As I accomplished each task I placed it back in the weekly divider. If I didn't get around to it, I'd place it under another day that I thought I could get it done. Same with monthly/yearly tasks. I'd go through and see what needed to be done. For birthdays and anniversaries I'd often have a card or divider for each month with birthdays and anniversaries for that month listed on it so that I could remember to send a card. I realize that everyone has their own method of organizing. Mine in recent years has been a calendar/planner since I am out of the house alot more than when my kids were younger. The key is finding what works for you even if it's for a season. I'm off to get some housework done and some baking. I recently received a Bob's Red Mill Baking Book from the library (I plan to buy this), and I want to try their Protein Bar recipe for hubby's lunches and a roll recipe to go with soup tonight. I'll post recipes later tonight or tomorrow. With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts