Recipe: Stuffed Whole Wheat Bread



Edited 10/7/2021

The first time I had this dish was at a friends house before I was really into ground turkey. I remember thinking "hmmm..I'm not sure about this".  I loved it. I haven't made it in several years and pulled the recipe out last week. I had forgotten how much I liked it. It's one of those recipes that is so simple but it is not your typical "stuffed bread". I would easily serve this at a party with a yummy salad or a simple broth soup. The flavors are unique and well...just read on and make it yourself. I could eat the filling out of the pan....oh wait, I did!!

Before I get to the filling ingredients lets talk about the bread. You can use frozen bread dough but I make my own.

Printable recipe:  click here:

Bread dough ingredients:
1 1/4 c. warm water 
3 1/4 c. flour 
2 Tbs. sugar 
1 1/2 tsp. salt 
2 Tbs. butter 
2 Tsp. yeast
2 Tbs. each of dill and sesame seed

Now if you're going to use frozen bread dough, then once it has thawed, roll it out, sprinkle the dill and sesame seeds on top and roll into the dough. Otherwise just make your dough as you normally would make bread dough. 

Filling: 

1 Tbs. olive oil 
12 oz. ground turkey breast (I just use whatever a normal package is) 
1/4 c. green onion chopped, you can add tops too if you want
1 8oz. tub cream cheese with chive and green onion
1/2 of a 10oz. package of spinach (thawed and drained) I actually prefer fresh spinach chopped 
1/3 c. pesto sauce
1/4 c. fine bread crumbs

In a large skillet add oil. Cook turkey and green onions until turkey is cooked through. Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients.

Roll out dough to a 12 x 9 rectangle. Transfer to baking sheet. Spread filling lengthwise in a 3" wide strip down the center. Make one inch cuts on each side.





Moisten end of each strip and alternate folding strips at an angle.Cover and let rise to double, about 30 minutes. 

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Brush tops with butter.Serve warm! 



This is so hard to stop eating. I even snacked on it when it was cold the next day.  



With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. I am so going to try this. All I can say is yumm-o!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH I gotta try this, the bread itself sounds amazing and then with that filling. Mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so good I eat the filling out of the pan and I'll even eat the stuffed bread cold!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! I can't wait to try it. I'm sure I won't be disappointed - I never have with any of your recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts