Kitchen Tip Tuesday: Tip for Microwave shopping and a recipe

A few months back we moved into our new home. Before we did, we needed to buy a new microwave. I love the over the range ones and did quite a bit of research. A few of the features of the one we chose made it worth the research.
How many of you have put square or rectangular pans in a microwave that did not have an option to turn the turntable off? That was always a huge pet peeve of mine. The one I found (and many new ones) come with rectangular trays that instead of going around in a circle, slide side to side. Love it! It also has a rack so I can warm up more than one item at a time....very handy for company and holidays. The other feature that I love is the soften/melt button. I am notorious for blowing up butter and burning chocolate. This feature allows me to set how much I'm trying to melt or soften and it does it to perfection!
So I these are features that I would highly recommend if you are searching for a microwave. 
Now onto a recipe I love to make. Sunday we went to a Superbowl party and I brought along a yummy hot Mexican dip that is always a hit. It is pretty basic, but this time I added a few more ingredients.

(Printable Recipe)
 The original recipe only calls for refried beans, taco meat, cheese, taco sauce and sour cream. I added a can of black beans, a can of green chilies and a can of olives. In a large casserole layer 1 or 2 cans of refried beans (I think for the size pan I used, 1 1/2 would have been plenty, 1 can of green chilies, one can of black beans (drained), and 1lb of seasoned taco meat.
Add 1 cup of cheese and 1 can of sliced olives. I would change the order however and put the cheese under the meat.

Add one small jar of taco sauce.

Another cup of cheese

And finally, one carton (2c.) sour cream. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 35-40 minutes or till heated through and cheese is melted. You can also top with chopped tomatoes. Serve with tortilla chips. Yummy!!!
Now head over to Tammys Recipes for more great tips.
With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. I had never seen the rectangular tray - that is a great idea!

    "blowing up butter" - that made me chuckle out loud.

    I cover stuff with cheap paper plates or wax paper sheets from Sam's Club.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts