Kitchen Tip Tuesday: Homemade Brown Sugar

Last week I was making cookies when I realized I was out of brown sugar. I really did not feel like going to the store and decided to see what I could use instead. I came across a recipe for homemade brown sugar. Did you know that really all brown sugar is, is a mixture of white sugar and molasses? I had no idea! So I gave it a try. Do you know, it worked? And it tasted like brown sugar! I couldn't wait for this morning so I could share it with all of you.
White sugar and molasses, you could use light or dark. I just used what I had on hand which was "mild flavor". 1 cup of sugar to 2 Tbs. Molasses. You can adjust this as well. Using less molasses if you want.
Mix well and there you have it. Brown sugar! It worked real well in the recipe. Now if I can just get the oven to work right and have the right cookie sheet they'd be even better.
With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. I have done this too. It works great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of this, but haven't ever tried it. Glad it works and will have to remember to try it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It works great! The last time I tried it, I was in a super hurry and just added white sugar with the dry ingredients and then the molasses with the wet ingredients, which eliminated a step. Of course, you have to adjust the amounts proportionately to the amount of brown sugar you need!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip! I've found myself out of brown sugar a time or two...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had heard of doing this before but never tried it. I'm glad to know it works. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts