Recipe: Raspberry Peach Pie

I purchased some peaches last week when I went grocery shopping. Then on Friday a Hispanic family stopped at the garage sale, bought some items and then sold me a 1/2 flat of raspberries. YUM! They were so good. I had bought the peaches because I wanted to make a peach pie or peach cobbler. After getting the raspberries, I remembered seeing a recipe for raspberry Peach Pie! We were going to dinner Saturday at friends so I figured that would be a perfect dessert...it was almost perfect...I'll need some help from all of you at the end. But for now, here's the recipe I found online. This recipe called for a streusel topping but I just used 2 pie crusts.
Raspberry Peach Pie (my version)
(Printable Recipe)
original version...click here.
Pie crust for 1 deep dish 9" pie, double crust
3/4 c. pineapple juice
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2/3 c. all purpose flour
3/4 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. fresh or frozen raspberries
5 cups ripe peaches, peeled and sliced (about 5 medium peaches)
In a large bowl, combine juice, vanilla and flour. Whisk together. Add the brown sugar and stir till dissolved. Add the berries and peaches. Stir to coat. Pour into pie shell and top with upper crust. Or streusel topping if desired. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes or until the topping begins to brown.
The Yummy Ingredients. They peeled and sliced to nicely...though a few weren't quite ripe enough...I was a bit worried..but that was the least of my worries.
I love how pretty peaches and raspberries look together.
Almost ready for the oven.
Looks pretty....here's where the problem came in and why I didn't take a picture of a beautifully sliced pie! It was so runny!!! For whatever reason it didn't thicken up, and that's the second time I've made a pie with berries (I followed the recipe) that turned out runny. It's bad enough that I have a hard time making crust (which is why I cheated and just bought a crust), but they are always runny. It was really good served in bowls with vanilla ice cream.
I need your tips on what to do about this dilemma. I'm bound and determined to make a great pie crust and a non-runny berry pie. I will keep at it till I get it right. But please give me what works for you... Okay, no more posting for today. I'm going to work on another project...or go play with my laptop....or both.
With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. Looks yummy!

    As for a runny pie, try a little cornstarch mixed in with your berries before baking....a tablespoon or two. It won't change the taste and should help thicken it up.

    Have a great week,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness that looks absolutely MOUTH WATERING. I LOVE pie and peach and raspberry sound like the perfect combination! I may be making this very soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The problem with your recipe is two fold; the person who wrote the recipe has no idea how watery your fruit is. The water in the fruit depends on the amount of water the harvest had that year.

    I see a huge 2nd problem with this recipe. It calls for added liquid in the form of pineapple juice. Pineapple is acidic and makes everything it touches weepy. Your pie weeped. Another problem is that adding liquid to the pie is never a good thing unless its a custard or something. But fruit pies dont need it they create enough juice of their own. For novice pie bakers I would really shy away from a recipe that calls for liquid in the pie.

    You could make this into a scrumptious pie by just taking the same recipe, leaving out the flour and the pinapple juice. Toss your fruit with 2 to 3 T. of cornstarch that has been mixed with the sugar. This will gaurantee no cornstarch lumps. Mix those dry ingredients together and toss with the fruit. Put on the top crust and bake. You will have a perfect pie. Some people use Tapioca to thicken pies or clear jell which can be found in specialty stores. If you use cornstarch you willget a clear filling. If you use flour you willl have a cloudy whitish filling. I think fruit pies look their prettiest using cornstarch.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies for your tips. They make lots of sense and I'll try them next time. It was a really good pie though and by the next day, it had set up better...actually I think all the liquid ran out so there was none left (C:
    I was a little unsure about the added liquid, plus it made it sweeter and my hubby doesn't want things overly sweet.

    You ladies are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do what mrs. darling said.

    The only exception is that if you are making an apple pie, you might need 1/4 cup water and juice from 1 lemon. (Granny Smith Apples of course)

    But for peaches and berries --- no added juice.

    Love your positive attitude web site and interesting recipes.

    We are adding you to our "Check it Out - Favorites" side-bar blog-roll.

    Thanks for the visit,
    Troy and Martha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts