Works for Me Wednesday: Parenting Series

It's another Works For Me Wednesday from Rocks in My Dryer. We have two amazing daughters. But their attitudes aren't always so amazing. They aren't perfect and neither are we. In the last year my hubby and I heard a parenting series that made us take a slightly different approach to how we train up our daughters, (especially at the age they are now). It is an approach that empowers them to make choices and keeps us from "controlling" them. It is put out by Danny Silk and he is an amazing communicator. With his humor and examples from raising his own children, he gives parents the tools to empower their own children. Some of this is based off of the Love and Logic approach. Here is a blurb from http://www.ibethel.org/ store.

Here is a fresh look at the age old role of parenting. Loving Our Kids on Purpose brings the principles of the Kingdom of God and revival into our strategy as parents.

Session 1: Introduction to Loving On Purpose - Changing our goal from obedience and conformity to self-control and protecting our loving connection.

Session 2: The Language of Empowerment - Phrases and key words will help parents manage themselves and allow their children to work on their lives and problems.

Session 3: No Fear In Love - We must learn processes that reduce fear and anxiety between us. These practices will help parents create a safe place for their children to build confidence and personal responsibility in their decisions.

Session 4: Building Personal Responsibility - Our children must learn that we trust them to practice on their lives. How we respond to their failures encourages them to either grow and learn or to avoid our punishments.

Session 5: Imparting Strength and Honor - Parents set their kids up to either learn to take orders or to learn to think and problem solve the issues and circumstances in their lives.

Session 6: Loving On Purpose Testimonies - This last session is a set of testimonies of parents applying what they've learned. Both heartwarming and humorous stories demonstrate the skills and understanding of Loving on Purpose.

Join the reformation that is transforming a generation! The family is the vehicle for generational revival. Without a different way of training up our children we will not have another result. There is no fear in love, because love casts out all the fear of punishment. Peace!

Does this approach take away discipline? No, but it does put responsibility and consequences into their hands. Their obedience then comes out of love and honor for mom and dad instead of fear of punishment. Anyways. I'm not doing it justice. I would just encourage you to check it out.
With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness, I TOTALLY agree with you!! When I clicked over here, I did not expect to see this parenting advice. Only because I did not know how widespread it is. I recently was out at Bethel Church and picked up this teaching series. The main reason for my desire in listening to it was because all of the Silk's children love God, so along with God's grace, they must have known something good :).

    What I am trying to figure out right now is how to incorporate the tools with a little kid. My daughter is too young, but my two year old son is not. I have come up with a few things but I am short on ideas. If you have any creative tools you have come up with, I'd love to hear them. My email is sarahw56 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts