Recipe: Spaghetti Sauce

I love the fact that I am half Italian. I just love that culture. Growing up we never had spaghetti sauce from a jar, and only recently in the last few years have I ever cheated and bought a jar (only for quick last minute needs...and I usually doctor it up). I remember asking my mom for the recipe when I got married. She chuckled and said she'd have to make it and let me know. The reason? She never used a recipe. Great! Thanks mom!! But I've figured it out and love making it. This recipe is what feeds our family of four with a bit leftover.
Spaghetti Sauce
1-3lbs. ground meat (I use turkey)
2 cloves garlic
1 c. chopped onion
2 cans (10 oz.) tomato sauce
1 can (larger) tomato paste
1 can (10 oz.) diced tomatoes
extra water
Italian seasoning (oregano, basil, parsley) garlic powder
2 bay leaves
In a pan brown your meat. I put 1-3 pounds because it just depends on how meaty you want your sauce. I love using ground meat in my sauce. Drain and return to pan, add garlic and onion, and cook till tender. In same pan, add tomato sauce, paste, diced tomatoes and mix. Add water till sauce reaches your desired consistency. I like it to stick to the pasta. (you could also make the sauce separate and not add it to the meat). Add seasonings to taste. I add the seasonings in slowly till it tastes the way I like it. Add more if you want a stronger flavor, less if you want it mild. Lower heat and allow to lightly simmer for 30-60 minutes. I don't have time to do the all day sauce. Remove bay leaves.
If you want to make meatballs take 1 lb. beef, add 1 egg, some breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and parsley. Mix well. Roll into balls and place in a 13 x 9 pan and bake in the oven till done (this keeps them round and is easier than cooking on the stove top). Add to sauce
Make your noodles and enjoy! I use this for everything, lasagna, manicotti, spaghetti, just to dip my bread or cheese in...oh, I love this sauce. You can also add veggies to it. I've done zucchini and carrots. With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. Yummo! When can I come to your place for dinner?

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy!

    I thought I had your email address, but I can't find it. About the aprons - here is the link to her Etsy shop - http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5650603
    Of course, the ones I have are sold now, and the only mother-daughter ones she has left are holiday themed. But, if you want something different, you can click on the link (on the right) that says "Request Custom Item" and tell her what you are looking for. You can also click on where it says "1 sale" (which would be mine!) and see the ones I got. I'm getting ready to go out for a while, but I'll try to get the pics of Ruthi and me wearing ours this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Part Italian..how terrific. I love the culture and think I am in my head. Maybe somewhere way way back.
    YUMMY

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts